This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0101 / 53°0'36"N
Longitude: -2.3357 / 2°20'8"W
OS Eastings: 377575
OS Northings: 345917
OS Grid: SJ775459
Mapcode National: GBR 02S.B99
Mapcode Global: WH9BM.3L1R
Entry Name: Madeley Manor and Attached Conservatory
Listing Date: 17 November 1966
Last Amended: 14 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1028000
English Heritage Legacy ID: 362659
Location: Madeley, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire, CW3
Civil Parish: Madeley
Built-Up Area: Madeley
Traditional County: Staffordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire
Church of England Parish: MadeleyAll Saints
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 74 NE MADELEY C.P. HEIGHLEY CASTLE WAY
(off east side)
2/50 Madeley Manor and
(formerly listed as
17/11/66 Manor House).
Former country house, now flats and offices. C.1820-30, with later
additions and alterations. Stuccoed on plastered sandstone plinth, slate
hipped roofs with wide projecting eaves, plastered brick ridge stacks.
Irregular plan with attached service blocks and further outbuildings to
west and attached conservatory to south. 2 storeys; moulded string
course. East garden front: slightly recessed centre of 2 bays with
single-bay open pedimented wings to left and right; glazing bar sashes,
those to ground floor of central portion extending to ground; recessed
plaques above depicting in plastered relief scenes from the Parthenon
frieze (probably by Paul Henning, c.1819); tripartite glazing bar sashes
in recessed round-headed openings to ground floor of wings. South front:
in 5 bays, left-hand 2 set back; glazing bar sashes, again with Henning
reliefs above ground floor windows. North front: in 4 bays with
projecting 3-window full-height bow under conical roof to left; again
glazing bar sashes with Henning-style reliefs above ground floor.
Principal entrance to front through 6-panel door in glazed doorcase under
curved Doric portico. To the right of the north front, a mid-C19,
2- and 3-storey service block (incorporating a water tower) and beyond,
a lower 2-storey range (formerly estate workshops and now converted into
maisonettes), much altered and not included. The conservatory is to
the south, attached by a connecting wall. Windows to east, separated
by slender cast-iron columns, double-pyramidal glass roof. Interior:
top-lit oak staircase with cast-iron balustrade and arcaded top landing;
rich Greek Revival cornices to 2 ground floor rooms; also original
shutters. Set in a good parkland landscape.
Listing NGR: SJ7757545917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings