This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2175 / 51°13'2"N
Longitude: -0.2328 / 0°13'58"W
OS Eastings: 523517
OS Northings: 147960
OS Grid: TQ235479
Mapcode National: GBR JJ5.MYR
Mapcode Global: VHGS8.XN8J
Entry Name: Flanchford Mill
Listing Date: 31 March 1977
Last Amended: 14 December 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029111
English Heritage Legacy ID: 289318
Location: Reigate and Banstead, Surrey, RH2
District: Reigate and Banstead
Town: Reigate and Banstead
Electoral Ward/Division: South Park and Woodhatch
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Reigate St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 24 NW
(East, off) Leigh
Watermill. Mid-C18 ("1768" etched in wall of pit floor), for James Scawen (Stidder, p29)); restored 1997. Timber-frame with replacement weatherboard cladding on basement (pit floor) of red brick in Flemish bond. Replacement plain tile roof. 3 floors; 1 x 3 bays, gable-end on. Windows are C20 replacements. Old board doors with strap-hinges. East end has door at ground-floor and loading door above with narrow window over. Alongside south side is breast-shot water-wheel of 1870, much-decayed. The brick basement has two round-arched openings for shafts, and 3 windows to ground floor. Further door to north side. Interior: Original timber frame survives well, having unjowelled posts braced to rails and sole-plate, vertical studs; roof has raking queen struts up to principal rafters, coupled common rafters with plank collars nailed on, no ridge-piece; large-scantling chamfered cross-beams and joists; old floorboards, particularly to 1st floor. Pit floor retains some horizontal board lining. In roof, six grain bins set between wooden staging, with trap-doors for sacks. Much original machinery remains (some parts collapsed) including: pit wheels and gearing linking waterwheel and millstones, sack-hoist and flour grader. Of the two original pairs of millstones, one basestone survives in situ with the wooden housing for the other. An unusual example of an C18 weatherboard watermill which retains much of its original machinery. D Stidder, The Watermills of Surrey (Barracuda Books Ltd), 1990, pp 28-30, illus p 16.
Listing NGR: TQ2351747960
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings