This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2821 / 51°16'55"N
Longitude: -0.0852 / 0°5'6"W
OS Eastings: 533638
OS Northings: 155402
OS Grid: TQ336554
Mapcode National: GBR KJX.H8M
Mapcode Global: VHGS5.G1TG
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1029816
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287669
Location: Caterham-on-the-Hill, Tandridge, Surrey, CR3
Civil Parish: Caterham-on-the-Hill
Built-Up Area: Caterham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Caterham
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35NW CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD,
FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM
2/14 Church of St. Mary
Church 1866-88 by W. and C.A. Bassett Smith in Middle Pointed style. Extended in
early C20. Flint with stone dressings, plain tiled root's with ridge custings.
Nave with aisles, chancel with chapels and square tower to south west corner.
Offset set back buttresses to 3 stage tower with shingled broach spire on corbel
band. Gabled louvred openings to spire with iron finial to top.
Interior: 5 bay nave arcades on compound piers of lobed section. Bell moulded
chancel arch with small marble columns on brackets to responds and angel stops
to hood moulding. 3 bay chancel with painted wood ceiling. Iron rood screen
on marble panelled dado walls. C20 fittings with round font on central stem and
marble angle columns.
Reredos: plaster and alabaster painted and gilt showing scenes of the life
of the Virgin by Sir Ninian Comper.
Listing NGR: TQ3363855402
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings