This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2821 / 51°16'55"N
Longitude: -0.086 / 0°5'9"W
OS Eastings: 533584
OS Northings: 155397
OS Grid: TQ335553
Mapcode National: GBR KJX.H34
Mapcode Global: VHGS5.G1DH
Entry Name: Church of St Lawrence
Listing Date: 21 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377607
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287666
Location: Caterham-on-the-Hill, Tandridge, Surrey, CR3
Civil Parish: Caterham-on-the-Hill
Built-Up Area: Caterham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Caterham
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35NW [email protected] & WARLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD,
FORMER URBAN DISTRICT CATERHAM
2/11 Church of St. Lawrence
Church. C12 with C13 restorations to chancel arch, east wall rebuilt in late
C18 and restored in 1927. Rubblestone and clunch dressings; coursed dressed
stone with brick quoins to east end, rendered on west end and vestry. Plain
tiled roof with Horsham slabs to porch and weatherboarded bellturret with
shingled broach spire above to west end. Originally apsed Norman church to
which was added a south chancel chapel, C12, since destroyed leaving nave and
chancel with aisle and vestry to north and porch to the south. Diagonal
buttresses to nave and chancel with Y tracery windows and lancets.
Interior: much patched and altered with stone floors. 2 bay C13 round arched
north arcade on circular piers and abaci with double chamfers to arches; central
pillar bears stone bracket with carved monster head. 4 framed bays queen post
roof to north aisle; 2 bay crownpost roof to nave. C13 chancel arch dying into
imposts. South chancelwall contains priests door and remains of south chancel
chapel (one stiff leaf capital to east respond). North aisle chapel arch to
chancel with hard plaster foliage impost frieze.
Fittings: Rectangular piscina on north chancel wall; oak panelled dado screen
Wall paintings: Traces of painting in chancel arch spandrels and in north aisle
Monument: North chancel wall: Dedicated to Elizabeth Legrew, dated 1825.
Kneeling profile figure with book under ogee arch, all of white marble and
carved by her son: "Legrew Sculpt,1832".
Listing NGR: TQ3358455397
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings