This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.403 / 51°24'10"N
Longitude: 0.0099 / 0°0'35"E
OS Eastings: 539900
OS Northings: 169020
OS Grid: TQ399690
Mapcode National: GBR M1.75D
Mapcode Global: VHHNX.4Z2W
Entry Name: 19, Glassmill Lane
Listing Date: 17 September 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1031884
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489778
Location: Bromley, London, BR2
Electoral Ward/Division: Bromley Town
Built-Up Area: Bromley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bromley St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
House, formerly two cottages. Probably late C18 with early C19 additions and some early C20 windows.
Timberframed, clad in weatherboarding with mansard roof, pantiled to the front and tiled to the rear, with three brick chimneystacks. Two storeys and attics. Irregular fenestration. Front elevation has three penticed dormers with C19 casements. Below are two early C20 casements with wooden shutters to the first floor windows. Doorcase with wooden flat hood supported on brackets and door with six flush panels. The right hand side has a lean-to extension with slate roof, probably C19, and a plank door. The left side elevation retains a 12-pane sash in moulded architrave. The rear elevation appears to have been heightened in the early C19 with parapet and has two eight pane sashes, a doorcase with cornice, brackets with paterae, half-glazed door and steps with wrought iron handrails and a gabled extension to the right with 12-paned sash with moulded architrave.
HISTORY: First shown on the Tithe Map of 1842, but although it is not shown on the Andrews, Drury and Herbert Map of 1769 or the Round London 1 mile to 1 inch map of 1815, earlier maps did not always show every building. It stands beside the millrace to the now demolished Glassmill, a cornmill and papermill. The 1842 Tithe Map shows the footprint of a larger house to the north which is identified on the 1863 OS map as Glassmill House. This larger house, since demolished, may have been the millowner's house and no 19 accommodation for employees of the mill.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings