This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6218 / 50°37'18"N
Longitude: -1.1836 / 1°11'0"W
OS Eastings: 457848
OS Northings: 80555
OS Grid: SZ578805
Mapcode National: GBR 9DS.TVN
Mapcode Global: FRA 87DF.BQZ
Entry Name: Church of St Blasius
Listing Date: 14 March 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 310223
Location: Shanklin, Isle of Wight, PO37
County: Isle of Wight
Civil Parish: Shanklin
Built-Up Area: Shanklin
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight
Church of England Parish: Shanklin St Blasius
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SZ58SE CHURCH ROAD
1352-0/4/182 Church of St Blasius
Parish Church formerly the manor chapel to Shanklin Manor. C13
extensively altered and with addition of North transept in
1853 and north-east porch, south transept, south aisle and
vestry in 1859. Built of stone rubble with tiled roof and
central shingled octagonal spire. Roughly cruciform in shape.
Nave, north aisle, north and south transepts and north-east
porch and south-west vestry. 2 bay nave has blocked splayed
trefoliated lancets. Chancel of 1 bay with original
trefoliated lancet on each side. South transept has original
trefoliated lancets. North transept has 2 renewed trefoliated
lancets to east and original trefoliated lancet to south.
North gable has cinquefoil-headed lights. North aisle has 1
original double cinquefoil-headed light with hood moulding and
adjoining C19 copy of this. Attached to the west of this is a
C19 vestry of stone rubble with 2 trefoliated lights and
2-centred arched doorway. Central octagonal shingled spire
with open bell stage and iron cross finial.
Interior has throughout C19 boarded wooden roof with
strengthening iron ties to chancel and south transept. Nave
has Early English pointed arch to north aisle and smaller arch
by its side. Royal coat of arms. C19 splayed organ gallery.
North aisle has C13 stone font, with trefoliated ornament and
a fine carved wooden chest of 1512, once the property of
Thomas Silkstead, Prior of Winchester. North wall has tablet
to Vice-Admiral Henry Hill, with appropriate anchor and rope
decoration. Chancel has pulpit incorporating 4 Apostles and
the Virgin, small panels of c1520-30, probably Flemish and
lectern also with C16 fragments. Trefoil-headed piscina with
shelf and trefoil-headed sedilia. Marble wall tablet to Sarah
Shapleigh Popham d 1808, relief of child rising to Heaven in
prayer. Also 4 basalt floor slabs to members of the Popham
family of Shanklin Manor. Visitors have included David
Garrick, Longfellow, George Morland the painter, John Wilkes
and Charles Darwin.
Listing NGR: SZ5784880555
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings