History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cemetery Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Ladywood, Birmingham

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 52.4872 / 52°29'14"N

Longitude: -1.9137 / 1°54'49"W

OS Eastings: 405956

OS Northings: 287704

OS Grid: SP059877

Mapcode National: GBR 5X6.B8

Mapcode Global: VH9YW.SR55

Entry Name: Cemetery Lodge

Listing Date: 12 April 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1034370

English Heritage Legacy ID: 409878

Location: Birmingham, B18

County: Birmingham

Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood

Built-Up Area: Birmingham

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands

Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Birmingham

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following Building shall be added:-
SP 98 NE
7/98 Cemetery Lodge (No. 161)
Cemetery lodge. 1848 by J.R. Hamilton of Gloucester. Blue-grey
engineering brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings.
Steeply pitched slate roof with crested ridge tiles and stone
coping to gable ends. Gable end and axial stacks, each with 3
octagonal ashlar shafts with moulded caps and base, the south west
stack is corbelled out from gable end.

Rectangular plan with central carriageway; cemetery keeper's
cottage on left (north west) and offices on right (north east).
Tudor Gothic style.

2 storeys. 3 bays, the centre in tall advanced gable with
marginal buttresses, double-chamfered 4-centred arch carriageway
with carved keystone on corbel for canted stone oriel above with
crenellated cornice and shaft rising from its roof to buttressed
gablet on gable apex surmounted by stone cross. Flanking bays
have stone 4-light windows with king mullions and transoms and
gabled half-dormers with 2-light windows, all with 4-centred arch
heads to lights and metal casements. Diagonal corner buttresses.
3-bay rear (north west) elevation has gabled central carriageway
with diagonal buttresses, similar arch and tall stepped 3-light
window and loop above; flanked by lower advanced gables, that on
left with tall 2-light first floor window over panel and small
ground floor window and on right 3-light ground floor and 2-light
first floor windows similar to those at front. Chamfered 4-
centred arch doorways inside carriageway and gates at front of
carriageway with wrought-iron grilles in open panels and with
wrought-iron hinges and cresting.

Interior not inspected.

Note: This was part of the competition entry for the design of
the Church of England cemetery, which extends to about 9 acres and
contained the Church of St Michael (demolished).

Source: Kelly's Directory' 1928.

Listing NGR: SP0595587705

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.