This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5154 / 52°30'55"N
Longitude: -1.6673 / 1°40'2"W
OS Eastings: 422671
OS Northings: 290888
OS Grid: SP226908
Mapcode National: GBR 5J9.C85
Mapcode Global: VHBWH.11XH
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 11 November 1952
Last Amended: 23 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1034801
English Heritage Legacy ID: 309065
Location: Shustoke, North Warwickshire, Warwickshire, B46
District: North Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Shustoke
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Whitacres, Lea Marston and Shustoke
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SHUSTOKE BACK LANE
SP2290 (West side)
12/160 The Manor House
11/11/52 (Formerly listed as Shustoke
House, possibly formerly a house and shop. c. 1600. A range on the east side of
early C17 was incorporated with the main range by the addition of a short link
building in C18. Timber-frame with wattle and daub infill replaced by brick.
Plain-tile roof. On west wide projecting side stack of sandstone, now rendered.
Main range of 2 bays, possibly having the shop at the north end. Including the
east range, the house now forms an L-plan. Main range: 2 storeys and attic with
the first and attic storeys jettied at both north and south ends. At south end
the jetty beam at first floor is underbuilt but at attic floor it is carried on
shaped brackets enriched with masks which are structurally integral with the
jowls of the main posts. At this end the framing is in small panels with the
bracing forming diamond patterns. One C20 wood casement to each storey. The
north gable end has the jetty at attic storey carried on scrolled volutes
structurally similar to those at the south end. They also have mask ornament. At
first floor the jetty is intact and has the capitals carved with fluting. The
jetty beam has an ovolo-moulding. There is both vertical studding and small
panels with bracing forming diamond patterns. At ground floor the absence of
peg-holes in the north gable indicates the location of a door and window.
Adjoining on the east side is a C17 timber-framed outshut. The range to the east
was originally detached. Mid C17, cased in brick on south wall in C18.
Plain-tiled roof and ridge stack. Single cell, and one structural bay. 2
storeys. South wall cased in brick. One C20 wood casement at first and ground
floors. In rear wall there is an original 3-light casement with splayed mullions
but modern glazing. This range and the main range were linked in C18/C19. The
link is 2 storeys. Doorway in south wall through late C20 porch. Interior: Main
range retains original partition walls at ground, first and attic floors. Each
floor was ceiled when built. Two rooms to each storey; those to the north have
stop-chamfered joists as well as main beams. The rooms to the south were those
originally heated. At ground floor there is a rebuilt inglenook and above a
hearth with a C1800 ducks-nest grate. Through-purlin roof of two tiers. The
range to the east is of one room at ground and first floors. There is also a
rebuilt inglenook at ground floor. The room above has a closed truss in the east
gable and the west gable. There is clear structural evidence in the roof and
wall to show that the 2 ranges were detached.
Listing NGR: SP2267190888
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings