This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0645 / 52°3'52"N
Longitude: 1.1515 / 1°9'5"E
OS Eastings: 616120
OS Northings: 245365
OS Grid: TM161453
Mapcode National: GBR TMP.HYB
Mapcode Global: VHLBS.XC4Q
Entry Name: Ipswich School
Listing Date: 4 August 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1037743
English Heritage Legacy ID: 275476
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, IP1
Electoral Ward/Division: St Margaret's
Built-Up Area: Ipswich
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Ipswich St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
1260 HENLEY ROAD
TM 1645 7/362
The school was founded in 1400 and the present building was erected in 1852
to the designs of Mr Fleury, an Ipswich architect, Built in the Elizabethan
style in red brick, it is a symmetrically composed building with a central
block with an octagonal tower, flanking wings and end pavilions. The tower,
centre block and end pavilions are marked by octagonal buttresses. The tower
and wings have castellated parapets and moulded brick string courses. The
end pavilions have a form of Dutch gable. The tower is 4 storeys, the centre
block and end pavilions are 3 storeys and the wings are 2 storeys. The windows
are casements with mullions and transoms and moulded brick hood moulds.
2 storeyed brick bays with castellated parapets project on the end pavilions.
A central porch projects at the foot of the tower and gabled porches project
in the centre of each wing. Roof tiled, with groups of shafted chimney stacks.
Ipswich School and the Chapel form a group.
Listing NGR: TM1612045365
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings