This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0703 / 55°4'12"N
Longitude: -1.6155 / 1°36'55"W
OS Eastings: 424648
OS Northings: 575156
OS Grid: NZ246751
Mapcode National: GBR K95T.17
Mapcode Global: WHC35.4TYF
Entry Name: Arcot Hall Golf Club Attached Walls and Outbuilding
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041350
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236017
Location: Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23
Civil Parish: Cramlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cramlington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
CRAMLINGTON A 1068
NZ 27 NW
(East side, off)
3/53 Arcot Hall Golf
31.10.83 walls and
Country house, now club. Late C18 for George Shum-Storey; south block dated
1805 with initials R S (Robert Storey?) on rainwater head; service wings mid C19.
Original house has whitewashed tooled ashlar front and brick rear; south block
brick, rendered and whitewashed. Roofs Lakeland slate except for lead half-dome
on bow. Original house and south block form L plan, with service wings to north.
Entrance (south) front is 1805 block; 3 storeys, 3 bays, symmetrical. Central
Roman Doric porch with pilasters and triglyph frieze; renewed half-glazed door
under keyed archivolt flanked by 4-pane fixed windows under keyed round arches.
Tripartite sashes to lower floors except for one C20 window. 4-pane sashes to
2nd floor; sill bands. Hipped roof with corniced flanking stacks, that to left
with tripartite shaft, that to right rendered.
East front in 3 parts: 3-storey, 3-bay centre has central 3-window bow. Plinth,
sill bands and moulded eaves cornice stepped up over slightly taller bow.
Contemporary 2-storey, 3-bay part to left, linked to centre by narrow recessed
bay with renewed door, has bands carried through from centre, and moulded eaves
cornice. Sash windows, mostly with glazing bars, some renewed,those in bow
curved on plan. Set back on far left, screen wall, covering single-storey
outbuilding, has shaped coped gable. Right part is west end of 1805 block,
with dated rainwater head; arched 1st floor window with coloured margined
glazing, reputedly lighting domestic chapel.
To rear, single-storey domestic wing with 2 parallel gabled roofs each with a
tall banded ridge stack; contemporary yard with tall flat-coped wall on north.
Interior: Lounge retains coved anthemion cornice, dining room modillion cornice
and ornamental ceiling rose.lst floor rooms with good cornices and fielded-panel
doors, formerly centre-hinged. Lounge fireplace flanked by fluted shafts with
leafy capitals, carrying lintel with medallions.
Historical note: George Shum adventured in India and was present at the siege
of Arcot, a fortified town near Madras. He married the daughter of Robert Storey,
taking the name Shum-Storey.
Altered outbuilding range to north of walled yard is not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2464875156
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings