This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.0681 / 55°4'5"N
Longitude: -1.6013 / 1°36'4"W
OS Eastings: 425558
OS Northings: 574918
OS Grid: NZ255749
Mapcode National: GBR K98V.31
Mapcode Global: WHC35.CWQ3
Plus Code: 9C7W399X+6F
Entry Name: Farmbuildings to North and West of Damdykes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 8 May 1986
Last Amended: 15 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 236030
Location: Cramlington, Northumberland, NE23
Civil Parish: Cramlington
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Cramlington St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 27 SE NZ 256749
7/66 Farmbuildings to
north and west of
Farmbuildings around foldyard. Probably late C18; shelter shed extension to
south range has 1833 datestone with initials MSS, remodelling of north and west
ranges formerly dated by 1863 stone with initials SHSS, now lying at foot of
wall. Original parts rubble with roughly-shaped tooled quoins; C19 parts
roughly-squared stone with tooled-and-margined quoins and dressings; Welsh
Buildings around rectangular yard entered at south-east corner. Single-storey
south range has blocked doorway and 2 windows. West range 5 bays, all but the
left 2-storeyed; 2 segmental arches, part-slatted windows above. North range
has 2-storey left part with stable door flanked by part-slatted windows, and
single-storey right part, continued beyond east range, with segmental arch, 2
doorways and slit vents. Single-storey east range with 2 boarded doors links
to farmhouse (q.v.).
Rear elevations: west range shows added shelter shed with 2 openings under
timber lintels and hipped roof. North range shows boarded double doors under
segmental arch in projecting west bay; circular gingang at right with large
stepped outer piers and 3 (formerly 4) smaller piers between; conical roof.
At far right, alongside gingang, is tall chamfered opening serving both ground
floor and loft.
Most openings in north and west ranges have chamfered alternating-block surrounds;
coped gables to 2-storey parts, roofs of single-storey parts hip-ended.
Interior: gingang has heavy east-west tie-beam separate from room structure
above, where radial collars carry a central octagonal post on a metal baseplate;
raking struts to 2 levels of curved purlins, curved wall-plate.
Formerly part of the Shum-Storey estate based on Arcot Hall (q.v.). An interesting
foldyard group with little post-C19 alteration; the gingang roof structure shows
carpentry of a high standard.
Altered shelter shed at rear of south range and minor C20 additions to east end
of north range are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: NZ2555874918
Other nearby listed buildings