This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.3722 / 55°22'19"N
Longitude: -1.6924 / 1°41'32"W
OS Eastings: 419592
OS Northings: 608729
OS Grid: NU195087
Mapcode National: GBR J6MB.D1
Mapcode Global: WHC1R.Z78G
Plus Code: 9C7W98C5+V2
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 31 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1041723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237115
Location: Shilbottle, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Shilbottle
Built-Up Area: Shilbottle
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE MIDDLE ROAD
9/224 Church of St. James
Parish Church, 1884 by W.S. Hicks, re-using some features from C12 predecessor.
Snecked tooled stone with ashlar dressings; roof of sythnethic stone tiles.
Aisleless cruciform plan with south porch, central tower, organ chamber in
north transept and north vestry. Free C14 style.
Chamfered plinth, moulded sill string and chamfered eaves cornice. West end
shows 4-light window with traceried square window above, and stepped diagonal
buttresses. South porch has moulded arch with hoodmould under carved and
inscribed cornice, with foliage bosses at angles, and embattled parapet;
2-light mullioned window on each return. Inside stone benches, coffered
ceiling with carved bosses and re-set pre-1884 south doorway; door, with
patterned hinges and centre strap, in chamfered basket-arched opening within
larger C12 doorway with roll-moulded segmental arch on shafts with cushion
caps; billet hood. To east of porch three 2-light windows; one similar window
on north, to east of 2 re-set C12 round-headed loops. South transept has
stepped set-back buttresses, boarded door in moulded arch on west, 3-light
window and gable slit on south, and 2-light window on east. Central tower has
set-back buttresses; ringing chamber has 2-light window on south and slits;
moulded string above, gabled up over clock face on south; 2-light slatted
belfry openings; cornice with square-flower pattern below embattled parapet.
Taller octagonal south-east stair turret with boarded door, in moulded arch,
and slit windows. Chancel has two 2-light windows on south; east end has
3-light window above carved cusped panels with badge of St. James and sacred
monograms; cruciform loop in gable. Pent linked vestry and organ chamber have
2- and 3-light mullioned windows. Gables have moulded copings and finial
crosses; ornamental rainwater heads dated 1884.
Interior: Crossing has multi-chamfered arches with moulded imposts and bases,
except for north arch (to organ chamber) which is re-set C12 chancel arch of
two square orders, with chamfered hood and imposts. Nave has panelled dado,
with brattished top rail, and contemporary pewing; west bay has carved screen
with leaded glazing. Boarded wagon roof with bosses, and carved wall-plate.
South transept has similar dado and roof with gilded bosses. Crossing has
panelled wood lierne vault with carved bosses; pulpit, choir stalls and organ
front all good-quality contemporary work. Chancel has carved panelling and
altar rails; elaborate wagon roof with carved wall-plate and bosses. Marble-
tiled sanctuary. One south transept window (Baptism of Christ) by Kempe.
Late C17 armorial ledger stones to L'Isle and Strother families in chancel;
C19 wall tablets to Widdringtons in transept.
Listing NGR: NU1959208729
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings