This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.372 / 55°22'19"N
Longitude: -1.6932 / 1°41'35"W
OS Eastings: 419542
OS Northings: 608707
OS Grid: NU195087
Mapcode National: GBR J6MB.73
Mapcode Global: WHC1R.Y7WM
Entry Name: Peel House, with Outbuilding
Listing Date: 10 January 1953
Last Amended: 1 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1371202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237117
Location: Shilbottle, Northumberland, NE66
Civil Parish: Shilbottle
Built-Up Area: Shilbottle
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Shilbottle St James
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE MIDDLE ROAD
9/226 Peel House, with
Former Vicarage, with attached outbuildings. Tower probably C15, heightened 1863;
main part of house, and outbuildings, C18 remodelling of possible medieval fabric,
altered and extended 1863 by F.R. Wilson, for Rev. J.B. Roberts; altered c.1970.
large squared stone; outbuilding rubble; rear wing snecked stone; cut dressings.
Welsh slate roofs except for low-pitched lead roof to tower.
South elevation in 3 sections. At right end is 3-storey tower. Rough plinth;
wall battered up to 2nd floor level. Enlarged chamfered loop on ground floor;
C19 first-floor window of 2 pointed lights; traces of blocked window to
left. Chamfered set-back above marks top of medieval masonry. 2nd-floor
window of 2 trefoil-headed lights; embattled parapet. Taller corbelled-out
turret at left corner. Adjoining 2-storey 3-bay part has shallow porch on
right with boarded door under chamfered pointed arch; pent slab roof with small
centre gable with monogram on shield and cross finial. Plain sash windows, the
central set in former chamfered doorway; stone with JBR monogram above left
ground-floor window. Left single-storey section in 2 parts; 2-bay right part
reduced to 1 storey c.1970, shows 4-pane sash and small boarded window; 2-bay
left outbuilding has boarded double doors under timber lintel, with narrower
but similar door to left under raking loft dormer; coped left end gable; small
stepped stack on ridge.
Right return, to churchyard: Left tower with 1st-floor window of 2 trefoil-
headed lights above panel with Latin inscription referring to Rev. Roberts and
F.R. Wilson, and rhyme (from Melrose Abbey):
Earth builds on the earth Castles and Towers
To earth saith the earth All shall be ours.
Square-headed window on 2nd floor 2-storey 1-bay rear wing on right has 3-
light windows under dormer gable.
Rear elevation: Various casement windows in older openings. Gable end of rear
wing, on left, has windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights.
Interior: Basement of tower has chamfered 4-centred doorway and slightly-
pointed barrel vault; splayed loop on north now opens into wing. Wall lockers
in end walls. Remains of newel stair or well shaft in cupboard at north-west
corner of tower. 0.7-metre thick walls, with distinct batter, define former
hall block, enlarged to rear in C18. Panelled doors and shutters with beaded
mouldings. 1st-floor room in tower has C18 moulded stone fireplace with later
wrought-iron and tiled grate, flanked by doorways with arched panels above;
cornice. C19 stair with stick balusters, moulded ramped handrail and moulded
Listing NGR: NU1954208707
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings