This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7463 / 55°44'46"N
Longitude: -2.1076 / 2°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 393343
OS Northings: 650326
OS Grid: NT933503
Mapcode National: GBR F1QZ.HY
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.LTLQ
Entry Name: Horncliffe House
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1042252
English Heritage Legacy ID: 237910
Location: Horncliffe, Northumberland, TD15
Civil Parish: Horncliffe
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Norham St Cuthbert
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NT 95 SW
Country House. c.1800 for William Alder. Porch added mid C19. Ashlar with
Welsh and Scottish slate roofs. Palladian style. Central 3-storey main block
with single-storey concave linking wings to end pavilions.
Centre block 2 : 3 : 2 bays, the centre 3 bays pedimented and breaking forward
slightly. Pedimented porch with panelled door and fanlight in broad, hollow-
chamfered surround. The porch has rounded, rusticated corners. The centre
section has 12-pane sashes flanked by narrow 8-pane sashes on ground and 1st
floor, 9- and 6-pane sashes on 2nd floor. Outer bays have 12-pane sashes and
9-pane sashes on 2nd floor. Eaves cornice. Hipped roof with 2 tall, corniced
5-bay concave linking wings with round-headed arches, square piers, archivolts
and full-length glazing with radiating glazing bars. Arcade to right has
End pavilions have Venetian windows in round-arched recesses; hipped roofs
with 2 corniced ridge stacks.
To rear centre block has 3-storey, 3-bay bow window. Linking 5-bay wings have
keyed round-headed windows. Pavilions have Venetian windows.
Interior: Oval geometric stair with wrought-iron balusters and boldly wreathed
and moulded handrail. Many plaster friezes, with acanthus scrolls and other
foliage. Modillion cornice in entrance hall. In Morning Room a pine fireplace
with gesso decoration of entwined roses and thistles, also seaweed and shells
and sheaves of corn. Drawing room has white and coloured marble fireplace
with Ionic pilasters. The conservatory has mid-Victorian iron work and a
niche with terracotta colonettes and the crestof Sir Hubert Jerningham who
lived here in the late 1860s.
Source: North Durham : Raine J. : London 1852.
Listing NGR: NT9334350326
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings