This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.1504 / 51°9'1"N
Longitude: -0.4935 / 0°29'36"W
OS Eastings: 505465
OS Northings: 140093
OS Grid: TQ054400
Mapcode National: GBR GFY.VCS
Mapcode Global: VHFW2.DBGY
Plus Code: 9C3X5G24+5J
Entry Name: Cranleigh School, Woodyer Buildings
Listing Date: 20 July 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044323
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291892
Location: Cranleigh, Waverley, Surrey, GU6
Civil Parish: Cranleigh
Built-Up Area: Cranleigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Cranleigh
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Tagged with: School building
TQ 04 SE HORSESHOE LANE
1887-/2/10002 Cranleigh School,
Public school. Designed by William Woodyer and built in phases
as the funds allowed between 1863 and 1880. South and east of
Quadrangle and Headmaster's House completed in 1865, north and
west of Quadrangle completed in 1868, Chapel built in 1869,
Clock Tower added in 1870, Science rooms, Library and
Gymnasium completed in 1874 and Quadrangle completed in 1880.
Asymmetrical Tudor style building in red brick with black
brick diaperwork decoration, stone dressings, partly tiled and
partly pantiled roof with tall ribbed brick chimneystacks.
Comprises a Quadrangle with Headmaster's House to South West,
Chapel projecting to east and projecting north east wing.
Principal front to south is of 2 storeys and attics 9 windows.
Projecting central gable with double arched window to attic,
4-light mullion to 1st floor and arched doorcase below. On
each side are 4 hipped dormers with mullioned and transomed
windows, 1st floor tall 4-light mullioned and transomed
casements and projecting ground floor with double arched
windows. Central Clock Tower has shingled spire supported on
wooden piers above clock faces. To the south west is the
asymmetrical Headmaster's House. West side is of 2 storeys and
attics with irregular fenestration. One hipped and 3
half-hipped dormers and tall ribbed brick stack. To right is
projecting gable with 2 paired lancet windows to 1st floor and
square bay with triple full height window incorporating French
window to ground floor and arched doorcase. Three further
windows to left. South side has 2-storey 6-light canted bay
and 2 tall double mullioned and transomed windows to ground
floor. To east is the Chapel with elaborate transept with rose
window and arched doorcase, nave with 6 double trefoliated
windows to clerestorey and 8 lancets to aisle. Apsidal-ended
chancel the same height as the nave with flying buttresses
linked on to ambulatory. Projecting to north east is a wing
dated 1873 with projecting gable to left with large arched
window to 1st floor and 2 mullioned and transomed casements
below. To the right are two 6-light mullioned and transomed
windows with gables above. East side has oriel window. North
front of 2 storeys and attics with 10 hipped dormers, 12
mullioned windows to 1st floor and lancet windows and an
arched doorcase to ground floor. C20 full height window
inserted to extreme left. West Quadrangle has 2 tiers of
dormers to the Dormitory, 5 tall triple trefoliated arched
windows to the Dining Hall and C20 corridor to ground floor.
South Quadrangle has off-central gable with mullioned windows
and arched doorcase with bargeboards. Seven 4-light gabled
dormers, seven 4-light mullioned windows to first floor and
left side has 6 double trefoliated windows to ground floor.
Right side has C20 corridor. East Quadrangle has 5 hipped
dormers with triple windows, 5 casements to 1st floor and 4
double trefoliated windows to the ground floor. North
Quadrangle has hipped dormers to attic, 3-light mullioned
windows to 1st floor and C20 corridor to ground floor.
Interior features include staircase of dogleg type in
Headmaster's House with circular newel post and solid
bannisters with circular holes and original fireplaces. The
Dining Hall has ceiling of tie beams supported on corbels,
heraldic glass to the windows and baronial style fireplace
with motto. West Dormitory above has roof of crownpost type
with arched braces. Main Staircase in South Quadrangle in
early C18 style with 2 turned balusters to each tread and open
well added in 1893. Chapel has arcade supported on circular
piers, arch-braced roof, elaborate carved reredos of 1881 by
Woodyer and painted lettering in ambulatory (remainder of a
larger scheme of which the rest has been whitewashed over)
under restoration at time of survey. The Library, part of
Woodyer's scheme has undergone some subsequent alteration.
Pevsner Ed. BOE "Surrey" pl53
A J Megahey "A History of Cranleigh School". Collins 1983.
Listing NGR: TQ0546540093
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings