This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1859 / 51°11'9"N
Longitude: -0.612 / 0°36'43"W
OS Eastings: 497101
OS Northings: 143874
OS Grid: SU971438
Mapcode National: GBR FD2.N26
Mapcode Global: VHFVT.BGT8
Plus Code: 9C3X59PQ+85
Entry Name: 40 to 46, High Street and Crown Court, High Street
Listing Date: 18 December 1947
Last Amended: 1 February 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1044491
English Heritage Legacy ID: 291405
Location: Godalming, Waverley, Surrey, GU7
Civil Parish: Godalming
Built-Up Area: Godalming
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Godalming
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/02/2020
SU 9743 NW
HIGH STREET (north side)
Nos 40 to 46 (even) and Crown Court
(formerly listed as Nos 40, 46 (even) and (Crown Court), previously listed as Nos 14, 15, 15A, 15B and 16)
Commercial premises. C16 and C17, altered. Timber frame with brick infill; Bargate rubblestone; brick. Plain tile roofs. Originally a courtyard plan, but now U-shaped, the front range having been demolished. The central jettied part of the left range (part of no 46) is C16; the other parts appear to be later; and the rear range was rebuilt 1950, reusing C16 material (Coombs p16), Two storeys.
Right range (No 40): road front, gable end on: C20 shop front; first floor rendered with C20 transomed three-light window and steeply-pitched gable. Right returns: of galleted stone with brick dressings. Left return: timber-frame exposed, on right having large panels infilled with coursed rubblestone to ground floor, brick above, with one long tension brace down from wall post to midrail and C20 casements in framing, this section under hipped gable. To left, C20 shop front to ground floor; smaller panelling above with three windows, and roof at slightly lower level with ridge stack.
Left range (No 46): road front: two bays, painted; wall post at right corner; late C19 shop front on left having window with C20 glazing and metal grille on right of two-panel door (top panel glazed), all set within architrave of panelled pilasters supporting entablature with paired brackets at ends of fascia carrying dentilled cornice with raised roundels. On right, sash window in architrave with similar entablature and below cornice continued across from shop front. On first floor, two four-pane sashes. Dentilled eaves. Roof hipped on left and with central cross-ridge stack. Left return: rubblestone ground floor with blocked window opening; tile-hung above. Right return: on left, gabled bay of timber frame with brick infill; pointed-arched doorway in right-hand panel; C20 brick plinth below sole plate; tall panels to ground floor; smaller panels above with short cantilevered bay window with leaded casements; tile-hung gable. The three bays to right, the earlier part, have central doorway, full-height panels to ground floor with C20 windows; smaller panels above with three C20 windows and one arch brace from rail to wall plate: two ridge stacks near centre.
Rear range: full-height central throughway with posts arch-braced to wall plate; flanking one storey pedestrian throughways with leaded casements above.
Interior: left range has a central fireplace with chamfered timber lintel and another fireplace at north end (restored); large-scantling joists; upstairs, in No 46A, landing balustrade has twist-profile splat balusters and a queen-post roof truss.
Rear range: large-scantling spinebeams and joists; crown posts with V braces to collar.
Listing NGR: SU9713143926
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings