This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6148 / 53°36'53"N
Longitude: -2.1577 / 2°9'27"W
OS Eastings: 389666
OS Northings: 413145
OS Grid: SD896131
Mapcode National: GBR FVCM.NY
Mapcode Global: WHB8X.TDQQ
Plus Code: 9C5VJR7R+WW
Entry Name: Church of Saint Chad
Listing Date: 25 October 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1045812
English Heritage Legacy ID: 358869
Location: Rochdale, OL16
Electoral Ward/Division: Milkstone and Deeplish
Built-Up Area: Rochdale
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Rochdale St Chad, St Mary and St Edmund
Church of England Diocese: Manchester
SD 8913 SE ROCHDALE CHURCH STILE
11/42 Church of Saint
25.10. 1951 Chad
Church. Tower C13 and later, top stage added in 1870. Nave
arcade columns partly C14, arches in south aisle C14,
clerestory 1557, chancel and chapel 1883-8, otherwise of
various Victorian restorations. South aisle, porch and
belfry by W.H. Crossland, chancel and chapels by J.S.
Crowther. Rossendale stone, Yorkshire stone and slate and
copper roofs. Nave with aisles, clerestory, central west
tower and south porch. Chancel with chapels to north and
south. Largely in a Decorated style. Castellated 5-bay nave
and aisle with square headed 3-light cusped windows and 3-
light traceried windows to aisle in mixed style with hood
moulds. Weathered buttresses and crocketed pinnacles.
South porch has diagonal weathered buttresses, grotesque
gargoyles, crocketed pinnacles, statue of St. Chad and
arched opening with heavily enriched ogee shaped surround.
The 3-stage castellated tower has offset angle buttresses
surmounted by carved heads and decorative pinnacles,
elaborate bell-stage, gargoyles and crocketed pinnacles.
The 6-bay castellated chancel has clerestory and side
chapels with square-headed traceried clerestory lights and
3-light, four-centred arches to chapel with Perpendicular
tracery. Buttresses and pinnacles as above but with
grotesque gargoyles. The chancel roof is higher than that
of the nave, the east window is of 6-lights with
Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 6-bay nave arcade with
alternating round and octagonal piers with stiff-leaf and
upright-leaf and headed capitals, and some with broaches at
the springing of the arches. The arches are double
chamfered and the roof of an ornate tie-beam construction.
The chancel is also of 6 bays with clustered columns.
Fittings: plain C14 font, some Perpendicular stalls and
chapel screens, C17 twisted-baluster communion rail in south
chapel. W. Morris west window 1872-4, A.S. Wild, Top
o'th'Steps, 1970 and B.o.E.
Listing NGR: SD8966613145
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings