This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.623 / 51°37'22"N
Longitude: -1.4509 / 1°27'3"W
OS Eastings: 438108
OS Northings: 191714
OS Grid: SU381917
Mapcode National: GBR 6XS.600
Mapcode Global: VHC0V.SGTP
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 24 November 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 251095
Location: Denchworth, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, OX12
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Denchworth
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
1/1 Church of St. James
Church. Late C12, remodelled in mid/late C13, with early C14 south transept, and
late C15/early C16 north transept; refenestrated and parapet added in late
C15/early C16. Coursed and uncoursed limestone rubble; stone slate chancel and
porch roofs, and sheet metal roof. Cruciform plan with north-west tower. East
gable with C15 offset angle buttresses has early C14 three-light window; south
wall of chancel has offset buttress, C15 four-centred cavetto-moulded doorway to
C19 plank door and two C15 two-light square-headed windows; north wall of
chancel has C16 vestry and chapel, extending into nave, with offset buttresses
and early C16 two-light square-headed windows. North wall of nave has C15
one-light square-headed window. South transept has late C15/early Cib two-light
square-headed windows and adjoins mid C19 gabled porch with pointed chamfered
doorway. Stoup adjoins late C12 round-headed doorway with chamfered jambs,
moulded imposts and billetted arch; offset buttress and C15 two-light
square-headed window to left. Mid/late C13 three-light west window, flanked by
offset buttresses. Gabled roofs; nave and chancel have C15 moulded parapets.
North-west tower has offset angle buttresses, one-light slit window below string
course and C15 two-light square-headed windows with stone slate louvres, and
cavetto moulding to parapet. Interior: Chancel has mid/late C19 decorative tile
floor and piscina; wall brasses to William Hyde, d. 1557, his wife and many
children, and Oliver Hyde, d.1516, and his wife; C17 two-bay moulded tie-beam
roof; C15 chancel arch. Early C14 arch with sunk-quadrant mouldings to south
transept, which has 5 fine decorative wall tablets to the Geering family, 1690
to C18, one to Martha Frogley, d.1792, and floor tablet to Joan Geering, d.1717;
2-bay roof much restored in C19. Mid/late C13 arch on responds to north chapel,
which has C17 lean-to roof much restored in C19, late C19 screen with linenfold
panelling,and squint to chancel. Nave has Perpendicular style pulpit by A.B.
Allin, 1889, and late C19 octagonal font; C17 three-bay roof restored in C19;
stoup adjoins door.
(Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.126-7; VCH: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.227.
Kelly's Directory, 1898. p.58.)
Listing NGR: SU3810891714
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings