This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5823 / 51°34'56"N
Longitude: -1.594 / 1°35'38"W
OS Eastings: 428230
OS Northings: 187128
OS Grid: SU282871
Mapcode National: GBR 5WM.RV4
Mapcode Global: VHC0Z.BH6C
Entry Name: Farmhouse, Now Garages, Approximately 20 Metres East of St Frideswide's Cottage
Listing Date: 11 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1048756
English Heritage Legacy ID: 250714
Location: Compton Beauchamp, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6
District: Vale of White Horse
Civil Parish: Compton Beauchamp
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Compton Beauchamp
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
COMPTON BEAUCHAMP KNIGHTON
5/84 Farmhouse, now garages, approx
20 metres east of St.
Farmhouse, now 3 garages. Late C16/early C17 with one-bay C18 extension to
right. Squared and coursed chalk on sarsen base, chalk quoins to front and
side; rear walling rebuilt when openings made for garages in C20. Thatched
roof, tile valley; one brick ridge stack and one late C16/early C17 chalk end
stack. L-plan. 1 1/2-storey, 3-window range. Timber lintel over C19 plank door,
which was in centre of original front until C18 bay added; timber lintels over
3-light leaded casements and three C20 casements; ridge stack at junction with
C18 bay, end stack projects from left gable wall; gabled and half hipped roof.
Interior: newel stairs with adjacent timber framed wall at junction of two
wings; rear left wing and 3-unit front wing have original beams with cyma
stops. Room to left has oak bressumer over fireplace with cast iron range of
c.1800. Included for group value.
Listing NGR: SU2823087128
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings