History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Compton Beauchamp House and Walling and Attached Bridge to North

A Grade I Listed Building in Compton Beauchamp, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.5805 / 51°34'49"N

Longitude: -1.5975 / 1°35'50"W

OS Eastings: 427986

OS Northings: 186926

OS Grid: SU279869

Mapcode National: GBR 5WM.YRP

Mapcode Global: VHC0Z.8JBQ

Plus Code: 9C3WHCJ3+62

Entry Name: Compton Beauchamp House and Walling and Attached Bridge to North

Listing Date: 10 November 1952

Last Amended: 11 December 1985

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1368367

English Heritage Legacy ID: 250703

Location: Compton Beauchamp, Vale of White Horse, Oxfordshire, SN6

County: Oxfordshire

District: Vale of White Horse

Civil Parish: Compton Beauchamp

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Compton Beauchamp

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Tagged with: Building

Find accommodation in


5/74 Compton Beauchamp House and
10/11/52 walling and attached bridge
to north (Formerly listed as
Compton Beauchamp House,with
GV gatepiers. railings and
gates to drive.)
Country house. C16, interior remodelled and front rebuilt c.1710. Owned in C16
by Fettiplace family, rebuilt c.1710 by Edward Richards. Limestone ashlar to
facade, rest of house in C16 brick with limestone quoins and dressings; stone
slate roof; brick stacks. Courtyard plan. Baroque style 2 storeys and attic.
2:3:2 facade with central 3 bays brought forward. Central late C19 6-panelled
double doors with flat arch of voussoirs and plain architrave, early C18 sashes
to all windows. In central 3-bay elevations ground floor windows have flat
arches of voussoirs and plain architrave, first and attic floors have moulded
architraves: First floor windows have moulded drip. Windows in side bays have
plain architraves with moulded drip over to ground floor, moulded architraves
to first floor. Central 3 bays have banded rustication to ground floor, large
Doric pilasters to moulded cornice and balustraded parapet. Courtyard has two-
light late C16 cavetto - moulded stone-mullioned windows to left wall. 4- light
late C17/early C18 leaded casements to wall opposite entry. 2-light late C17/
early C18 leaded casements and two 2-light late C16 cavetto - moulded stone-
mullioned windows to right wall. Left wall of house has 2-light late C17/
early C18 leaded casements, one 2-light late C16 cavetto-moulded stone-
mullioned window and two 2-light early C16 stone-mullioned windows with arched
heads: three C16 lateral stacks. Right wall has two 2-light late C16 cavetto-
moulded stone-mullioned windows and four late C17/early C18 four-light leaded
casements; two Cl6 lateral stacks. Late C19 sashes, C16 stacks to rear. Gabled
roofs to sides and rear. Interior: rear room has full set of late C16 moulded
beams and joists. Rear right room has fireplace of c.1710 with
bolection-moulded architrave flanked by fluted lonic pilasters with pulvinated
frieze; moulded dado rail and skirting of c.1710; Stairs to rear left: dog leg
with landing, c.1710, closed string, turned balusters, moulded wall string,
bolection moulded panelling and dado.Stairs to rear right of same type and date
but with plain fielded panelling. First floor has gallery to right with
bolection-moulded panelling; some panels have painted decoration of c.1710 in
oriental style depicting birds, bamboo etc. Rear right has panelling of c.1740
with C16 fireplace which has bolection-moulded overmantle; bolection-moulded
panelling to adjoining room and to front left. Late C16 fireplaces with moulded
stone surrounds. The house is approached by a bridge carried over the moat.
Limestone ashlar bridge with balustraded parapet swept round to balustraded
wall which terminates in square piers at the corners of the moat. The arched
heads to the windows on the east (left) side suggest that the original builder
was Sir Thomas Fettiplace, who acquired the manor in the early C16. The house
was substantially rebuilt in the late C16, which may be associated with the
stone with the inscription M. Bressels Fettiplace 1583 to the right wall of the
front entrance passage. The building of c.1710 has been associated with the
marriage of Edward Richards to Rachel, daughter of Sir Edmund Warreford of
Sevenhampton in about c.1710. Country Life, 24 June 1899 and Nov 30 1918.
Buildings of England, Berkshire: p.121.

Listing NGR: SU2798686926

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.