This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.3405 / 51°20'25"N
Longitude: 1.4279 / 1°25'40"E
OS Eastings: 638838
OS Northings: 165734
OS Grid: TR388657
Mapcode National: GBR X0F.V4K
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.PKQR
Entry Name: Synagogue and Adjacent Outbuilding
Listing Date: 13 August 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1051632
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171859
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 3865 NE RAMSGATE HONEYSUCKLE ROAD
(South East side)
Synagogue and adjacent
Synagogue. 1831-3 by David Mocatta for Sir Moses Montefiore (1784- 1885) with some internal alterations of c.1912 and 1930s. Stuccoed. Rectangular plan with canted corners, leading to apse with Ark of the Covenant (east) and full height porch (west). Two storey elevation with plinth and giant pilasters supporting pulvinated frieze and cornice to parapet. No windows to main block (toplit), the porch west side with 1 glazing bar sash to each floor, the top with a pediment with acroteria. The porch itself with plinth, pilaster strips, moulded plat band and pierced fretwork balustrade. Clock face with motto: Time flies. Virtue alone remains. Entrance to left side, with large panelled door and flight of semi-circular steps in pilaster in antis surround, with scrolled lamp bracket and handrail, semi-circular headed windows to canted corners of main block, that to left with worn stone relief of Coat of Arms of Sir Moses, originally on the adjoining College of c.1869, also erected by Sir Moses Montefiore in memory of his wife Judith, and re-located when this building was demolished. Small outhouse to south. Stuccoed, in same style as synagogue, with plinth, pilasters, cornice and parapet, with blocked door and window on north elevation. The rear wall rises directly out of the retaining wall to the whole side, of flint and stock brick. INTERIOR: Vestibule of synagogue has a marble niche with shell, pilasters and fountain base for ritual washing and above is a brass memorial tablet to Captain Robert Sebag Montefiore who died at Gallipoli. A stone half-winder staircase leads to the ladies gallery, the vestry, which retains several original doors and access for maintenance of the clock. Synagogue retains original panelled ceiling with octagonal stained glass rooflight, original stained glass window depicting the ten Commandments above the Ark (Ehul) and the mahogany tapering Ark doors are original. The circular windows to the east are an early C20 alteration and the semi-circular windows are also a later insertion. The chandeliers and candelabra are original. The cast iron screen to the ladies gallery is the original but the wood has been replaced, originally pine. Only one side of Lady Judith Montefiore's seat remains. The Reading Desk (Tebah) and the benches have been replaced. The woodwork to the sides has been replaced but incorporating the original metalwork. The walls were encased in white marble with pink marble pilasters in the early C20. HISTORY: The synagogue was founded and financed (1900) by Sir Moses Montefiore, the great Jewish philanthropist, who is buried in the adjacent mausoleum. The architect, David Mocatta, a pupil of Sir John Soane, was his wife's cousin and this is the first synagogue in the country to be built by a Jewish architect. It is the only known example in the country of a synagogue built on a private estate. The main house, East Court is no longer extant. This was only the second synagogue (after Bevis M arks in the City) to be built for Sephardic Jews who are less numerous than the Ashkenazi. (See Busson, Ramsgate, 107-9; see also Gill Wyatt, Sir Moses Montefiore and Ramsgate, K.C.C.).
Listing NGR: TR3883865734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings