This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.6292 / 53°37'45"N
Longitude: -1.3009 / 1°18'3"W
OS Eastings: 446332
OS Northings: 414972
OS Grid: SE463149
Mapcode National: GBR MVCG.5R
Mapcode Global: WHDCL.Z1QL
Plus Code: 9C5WJMHX+MM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 25 March 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1052219
English Heritage Legacy ID: 342639
Location: Badsworth, Wakefield, WF9
Civil Parish: Badsworth
Built-Up Area: Badsworth
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Badsworth St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BAOSNURTH NEW ROAD
6/39 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Mostly C15, with some earlier fabric; tower restored in 1935.
Coursed squared sandstone, stone slate roofs. West tower, nave with north
and south aisles, chancel with added north vestry. Four-stage tower has
diagonal buttresses, weathered plinth, weathered bands on 3 levels; 2-centred
arched west doorway with 3 orders of moulding, and hoodmould; large 2-centred
arched west window of 3 lights with Perpendicular tracery, hollow-moulded
reveal, and hoodmould; above this, a small crocketed niche; 2-light belfry
windows with transoms and cinquefoil lights with wooden louvres, hollow-
moulded surrounds and hoodmoulds with figured stops; restored embattled
parapet with crocketed corner pinnacles; clockface on south side of 3rd
stage. Low buttressed 4-bay aisles embracing tower; late C19 or early C20
gabled porch to 1st bay of south aisle; large 4-centred arched windows of 3
cusped lights, with mouchette tracery in the heads (restored mullions and
tracery),double-chamfered reveals and hoodmoulds; similar windows at east and
west ends; embattled parapet; north aisle similar except that windows have
cinquefoil lights and Perpendicular tracery; and next to that in the centre
is a very small 2-centred arched C13 doorway. Nave has three 2-light
clerestory windows in similar style, and embattled parapet. Low 2-bay
chancel of restored ashlar masonry has two 4-centred arched 3-light windows.
with cinquefoil lights, chamfered reveals, and hoodmoulds with figured stops;.
small C14 arched doorway between windows; plain parapet; large 2-centred
arched east window of 5 cinquefoil lights with Perpendicular tracery, double-
chamfered reveal, and hoodmould with figured stops.
Interior: 3-bay arcades of octagonal columns with moulded caps, double-
chamfered arches; chancel has low 2-bay north arcade in matching style; on
south wall of chancel a fine marble wall monument to Sir John Bright
(d.1688): bowed, with a lengthy inscription on the square central panel,
which is carved as if thinly veiled by drapery, with a swagged apron and very
elaborately carved crown including shield of arms, helm, and feather (with
radiant sun behind) surmounted by an orb with gadrooned cap, all surrounded
by foliated scrolls etc. (Sir John Bright was a prominent leader of
Parliamentary forces in Yorkshire during the Civil War, and came to Badsworth
in 1652); near south doorway, octagonal C15 font, with traceried panels;
stained glass windows in north and south aisles, by Kenpe 1893 and c1900.
Listing NGR: SE4632914971
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings