History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Library, with Wall and Gateway Attached to North East Corner

A Grade II Listed Building in Bampton, Oxfordshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.727 / 51°43'37"N

Longitude: -1.5483 / 1°32'53"W

OS Eastings: 431295

OS Northings: 203237

OS Grid: SP312032

Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.RCJ

Mapcode Global: VHC07.3VVG

Plus Code: 9C3WPFG2+QM

Entry Name: Library, with Wall and Gateway Attached to North East Corner

Listing Date: 12 September 1955

Last Amended: 4 May 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1053565

English Heritage Legacy ID: 253381

Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18

County: Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Bampton

Built-Up Area: Bampton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(West side)
13/71 Library, with wall and gateway
12/09/55 attached to NE corner
(Formerly listed as Church

Former free school, now library. Circa 1650. Founded by Robert Veysey who left
£100 for its erection "in ashleane worke" in will of 1635. First school master
not appointed until 1653. Ashlar, with stone slate roof, moulded gable copings
and kneelers, and ashlar chimneys. T-plan, with small catslide extension in
north-east angle. One storey and attic, 3 bays. Moulded plinth. Hollow chamfered
stone mullion windows with arched lights and Tudor hoodmoulds. South side has a
3-light windows to ground floor, and 2 gables between with 2-light windows, the
right gable with blocked window and chimney. Central C20 gabled roof dormer with
2-light wooden casement. Inserted C19 board door between left bays. Gable end to
road has 4-light window to ground floor and 3-light window above. Far gable end
has 2 2-light windows to ground floor and 2 single lights, both boarded up, to
attic.a 3-storey porch and stair turret projects to centre of north side, with
single lights in attic gables, 2-light stair window, and door to north. Door is
set in 4-centred stone arch with moulded spandrels. Attached to catslide
extension is short length of rubble stone wall with pitched coping, stepped up
over gateway with moulded 4-centred arch. Wall is early C19 but archway may be
re-used. Interior has small C18 fireplace in east bay, with moulded wooden
architrave and dentil cornice.
(Country Life: July 26th 1946; Reverend J.A. Giles: History of the Parish and
Town of Bampton, 1848)

Listing NGR: SP3129503237

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.