This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7271 / 51°43'37"N
Longitude: -1.5476 / 1°32'51"W
OS Eastings: 431344
OS Northings: 203249
OS Grid: SP313032
Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.RJZ
Mapcode Global: VHC07.4V6D
Entry Name: Thatched Cottage
Listing Date: 3 September 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1389409
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488068
Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
1289/0/10006 CHURCH STREET
03-SEP-01 Thatched Cottage
House. Early C17, truncated and rebuilt early C18. Renovated 1963. Timber-framed core with coursed limestone rubble external walls; thatched roof.
PLAN: 3-celled C17 plan, the eastern cell removed early C18.
EXTERIOR: one storey and dormer attic. North facade with one doorway left of centre, one fixed C20 window to its east with 4x4 fixed panes, and 2 C20 casements to its west, the centre one blocking a former doorway. Lintel of a further blocked doorway to the far west. 2 dormer windows fitted with 3-light casements, that to the east of c. 1720 with leaded panes, the other C20. Both with graded Stonesfield slatestones to the wide sills. Gabled roof, hipped to the west. External brick gable-end stack to the east embedded in the adjacent property, and a free-standing stack to the west return.
South elevation is L-shaped, the foot of the L to the west added early C18, and with a partly external gable-end stack and one C20 casement to each floor.
Main rear elevation with a doorway opposite the north doorway, and one 8/8 unhorned sash to the east. One dormer fitted with a 3-light leaded early C18 casement with a Stonesfield slatestone sill.
West gable-end with one single-light casement, and the extension with one 2-light early C18 leaded casement.
INTERIOR: C17 front range with 3 principal trusses consisting of square-section jowled studs (most of the jowls cut off) linked by chamfered bridging beams with run-out stops. The beam in the west ground-floor room with one jewelled stop. Original joists with chamfers and run-out stops. West room with chamfered jamb to former staircase adjacent to 3 steps up to C18 extension, the doorway with a 3-plank C17 door. Entrance passage with reused panelling on west wall: mid C17 to the north and mid C18 raised and fielded to the south. Exposed principal stud visible in cellar of the C18 extension indicates that sole plates were not used.
Roof structure consists of principal rafters with through purlins trenched into the outer faces of the principals and clasped by trenched collars. Collars cut out to increase headroom, and the purlins shaved down to allow insertion of dormers. C18 extension has one tier of reused butt purlins either side.
Listing NGR: SP3134403249
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings