This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7273 / 51°43'38"N
Longitude: -1.5486 / 1°32'55"W
OS Eastings: 431271
OS Northings: 203267
OS Grid: SP312032
Mapcode National: GBR 5TY.R97
Mapcode Global: VHC07.3VN8
Entry Name: Churchgate House
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 4 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1283810
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253380
Location: Bampton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Bampton
Built-Up Area: Bampton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Bampton with Clanfield
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP3003-3103 BAMPTON CHURCH CLOSE
13/70 Churchgate House
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Church
Former vicarage, now house. Main front block rebuilt 1799 by Daniel Harris
(Pevsner); older rear wing with C16/C17 doorway; refurbished mid C20, with
altered side fenestration and small extensions. Coursed rubble limestone with
stone slate and C20 tile roof and rubble stone chimneys. 2 storeys. Double pile
front block is of 3 bays with hipped stone slate roof. Front has projecting
plinth, first floor band course, and 4-pane sashes with wooden lintels. To
ground floor left is a fine bow projection of ashlar with 2 moulded stone steps,
parapet, and 3 curved full-height sashes, each 3-panes wide. Central 6-panelled
door with radiating fanlight in semi-circular arch of dressed stone. 2 moulded
stone steps. Lower rear wing has hipped C20 tile roof, and altered fenestration,
the south wall retaining a blocked doorway with chamfered 4-centred stone arch.
Interior of front block retains contemporary moulded ceiling cornices, panelled
doors in architrave frames, and window shutters. Dog-leg stair with stick
balusters, possibly in altered position. House served as vicarage for Lew
portion of Bampton parish until mid C19 when Lew became a separate parish.
Bampton was notable from the middle ages onwards for having 3 vicars at a time,
the other vicarages now known as Cobb House and Kilmore House (q.v.).
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1974, p432; Reverend J.A. Giles: History of
the Parish and Town of Bampton, 1848)
Listing NGR: SP3127203266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings