History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trinity Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clun, Shropshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.4233 / 52°25'23"N

Longitude: -3.0263 / 3°1'34"W

OS Eastings: 330303

OS Northings: 281083

OS Grid: SO303810

Mapcode National: GBR B5.NFLY

Mapcode Global: VH769.HCG5

Entry Name: Trinity Hospital

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1054455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 257248

Location: Clun, Shropshire, SY7

County: Shropshire

Civil Parish: Clun

Built-Up Area: Clun

Traditional County: Shropshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire

Church of England Parish: Clun

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East side)

13/159 Trinity Hospital


Almshouses. Founded in 1607 by Henry Howard, Earl of Northampton, and
built in 1618 with alterations of 1857. Coursed limestone rubble with
sandstone ashlar and red brick dressings; machine-tile roof. Dwellings
and other rooms arranged around a square courtyard. One storey and
attic. 2 large brick multi-diamond-shafted ridge stacks to South
range, 3 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of both East and West ranges,
and 4 integral lateral brick stacks to rear of North range; verge
parapets. South (entrance) front: gables over ends and raised central
gable containing circa 1857 two-light attic casement with returned hood-
mould and large round-arched entrance with moulded jambs and imposts
and 2 large Cl7 boarded studded doors with strap hinges and knocker;
flanking circa 1857 gabled eaves-dormers with 2-light casements; 8-
window front; casements with chamfered stone mullions and surrounds.
Rear: central gable with 3-light attic casement and round-arched
entrance with chamfered jambs and imposts; Cl7 timber framed eaves-
dormer to left with 3-light casement and jettied gable with curved V-
struts. One- and 2-light casements onto courtyard with chamfered stone
mullions and surrounds; mainly C20 glazed and half-glazed doors with
pilastered surrounds and bracketed hoods. North range: South front:
central boarded square cupola with clock to South and pyramidal plain
tile cap with globe finial and weathervane. 8-window front; central
passageway, studded boarded door with strap hinges. North front: 8
windows with cavetto-moulded brick mullions and surrounds (see also
West front). Central round archway with chamfered jambs and old
studded boarded door with strap hinges. Interior: square-panelled
timber framed cross walls; chamfered and stopped beams (also within
archways); former communal dining hall to right at front containing
some C19 hospital furniture and an example of the former hospital
uniform; former warden's house (adjoining main entrance) is reputed
to have a small Cl7 staircase with open strings, turned balusters
and moulded handrail (Cf. 1967 provisional list); an example of a
Cl9 hospital bed survives abandoned at rear of the building at time
of resurvey (October 1984). The full name of these 6 almshouses is
The Hospital of the Holy and Undivided Trinity. A well-preserved
example of courtyard-plan almshouses.

Listing NGR: SO3030381083

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.