This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9692 / 52°58'9"N
Longitude: -2.6835 / 2°41'0"W
OS Eastings: 354193
OS Northings: 341533
OS Grid: SJ541415
Mapcode National: GBR 7L.JW3Q
Mapcode Global: WH89H.RMBL
Entry Name: Barclays Bank and Barclays Bank Chambers
Listing Date: 1 May 1951
Last Amended: 1 March 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1055982
English Heritage Legacy ID: 260642
Location: Whitchurch Urban, Shropshire, SY13
Civil Parish: Whitchurch Urban
Built-Up Area: Whitchurch
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Whitchurch St Alkmund
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
WHITCHURCH URBAN C.P.
HIGH STREET (north-east side)
Barclays Bank and Barclays Bank Chambers
(formerly listed as Barclay's Bank)
Town Hall/Market House, now bank and surgery. 1718, altered internally
probably in the mid-to late C18. Red brick with painted sandstone
dressing. 2-span plain tile roof. Double-depth plan. Moulded stone
plinth, chamfered quoins, flanking wide brick pilaster strips, stone plat
band, and moulded stone cornice, breaking forward over pilasters, and parapet
with chamfered stone coping (rebuilt to front with plain coping). Brick
stacks in valley and integral brick end stack to left of rear range. Pair
of cowlings to rear ridge. 2 storeys and gable-lit attic. 3 bays; first-floor
15-pane glazing bar sashes with painted stone cills and gauged-brick
heads with raised keystones. Ground-floor 3-bay round-arched arcade with
stumpy Tuscan columns, moulded architraves and raised keystones. 2 left-
hand bays with inserted C20 glazing. Open arch to right forming porch to
ground floor,and stairs to first floor. Left-hand return front: 2 plat
bands. 2 bays; first-floor 15-pane glazing bar sashes with keystones and
blocked ground-floor arcade with inserted windows. Right-hand return front:
rendered ground floor. Plat band. Right-hand first-floor glazing bar sash
with keystone,and small wooden 2-light attic casements, that to left with
segmented head. Rear: rendered ground floor. Wooden eaves cornice with
cyma reversa moulding, and shaped stone kneelers to parapeted gable ends.
3 bays; first-floor 15-pane glazing bar sashes with stone cills and stone
lintels. R.B. James, Whitchurch - A Short History (1979), p. 6.
Listing NGR: SJ5419341533
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings