History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Nuffield, Oxfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.581 / 51°34'51"N

Longitude: -1.0378 / 1°2'16"W

OS Eastings: 466764

OS Northings: 187345

OS Grid: SU667873

Mapcode National: GBR B2P.VV2

Mapcode Global: VHCYQ.YJPB

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 9 February 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1059326

English Heritage Legacy ID: 247852

Location: Nuffield, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, RG9

County: Oxfordshire

District: South Oxfordshire

Civil Parish: Nuffield

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Nuffield

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Nettlebed

Listing Text

NUFFIELD NUFFIELD HILL
SU68NE (South side)
5/143 Church of the Holy Trinity
09/02/59
II*


Church. C12, C14 north aisle and alterations, and chancel restored c.1845 by
Benjamin Ferrey. Unknapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof, wood
shingles to tower. 3-bay nave with north tower, 2-bay north aisle, and 3-bay
chancel. Blocked Romanesque doorway to left of nave. Two 2-light Y-tracery
windows to centre and right of nave, Plank door to centre of chancel. 2-light
Y-tracery window to left of chancel. Quatrefoil window to right. 3-light
Reticulated tracery window to right return. Left return: Studded plank door with
2-centred arch with hood mould to centre of end of nave. 2-light Y-tracery
window above. Square tower to left with rectangular glazed opening, and shingles
to top stage with pyramidal plain-tile roof. Rear: Blocked Romanesque doorway to
centre of aisle. 2-light Y-tracery window to left of centre of aisle. Lancet to
left of chancel, 2-light Y-tracery window to right. Interior: Reset medieval
tiles to floor of chancel. C19 piscina to right of chancel. C19 stained glass to
chancel. 2-centre Early English chancel arch with hood mould. 2-bay arcade to
aisle with transitional column to centre and half-column to left. Romanesque
font with inscription in Lombardic letters "(Fon)te sacro lotum vel mundat
gratia totum, vel non est sacramenti mundacio plena." Brass to nave floor to
Benert Engliss of c,1360. C15 roof to nave with moulded ribs and decorative
carved bosses.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.724).


Listing NGR: SU6676487345

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.