This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5953 / 52°35'43"N
Longitude: -0.7944 / 0°47'39"W
OS Eastings: 481762
OS Northings: 300407
OS Grid: SK817004
Mapcode National: GBR CSG.9Z2
Mapcode Global: WHFL0.R1X5
Plus Code: 9C4XH6W4+47
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1061661
English Heritage Legacy ID: 190904
Location: Allexton, Harborough, Leicestershire, LE15
Civil Parish: Allexton
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Hallaton St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
SK 80 SW
1/2 Church of St. Peter
Church. C12 - C13 and C15, much restored 1862/3 including new roof and aisles.
Coursed squared stone and rubble stone and stone dressings. Welsh slate roof
with stone coped gables. Buttresses, some with set-offs. W tower, nave,
aisles, chancel, and N chancel porch. C15 tower of 2 stages with W buttresses,
W window, blocked S arch and blocked window within. SW staircase has W loopholes
and projects to S. 4 2-light bell openings, W with later transom. Battlements
and small, low, recessed, leaded spirelet with weathervane. Blocked double
chamfered nave arch with door. Late Norman 2 bay N arcade carefully rebuilt
1862. Arches with roll and zig-zag mouldings. Round pier with capitals and
responds with lobed frieze to capitals. 2 bay S arcade with double chamfered
arches on octagonal pier. 2 2-light dormers to C19 roof of 2 bays and ½ bay
at either end. Curved braces to collars. N aisle has windows with plate
tracery, one with fragments of medieval glass. Many-moulded chancel arch,
also rebuilt. Chancel has 2 windows to N and S, both to E flat-topped. E
window of 1862 with Decorated tracery. C19 stained glass. Gabled porch to
vestry, probably of 1862, with flat-topped doorway. Window with fragments
of medieval stained glass. Chancel roof similar to nave. Chancel also has
small N 1-light, N doorway, and S piscina. S aisle has 1-light windows to
W and E and flat-topped 3-light to S. Many-moulded S doorway with a shaft
either side. To either side a medieval carved stone lion couchant on plinth.
Both aisles rebuilt 1862/3 after being pulled down late C16. C15 font. Pevsner,
and White's Leicestershire and Rutland 1877.
Listing NGR: SK8176200407
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings