History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Wilfrid

A Grade I Listed Building in Honington, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.9796 / 52°58'46"N

Longitude: -0.5966 / 0°35'47"W

OS Eastings: 494326

OS Northings: 343390

OS Grid: SK943433

Mapcode National: GBR DPF.600

Mapcode Global: WHGK9.TC3M

Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid

Listing Date: 20 September 1966

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062413

English Heritage Legacy ID: 193185

Location: Honington, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG32

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven

Civil Parish: Honington

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Honington St Wilfred

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Hough on the Hill

Listing Text


5/95 Church of St Wilfrid
G.V. I

Parish Church. C11, C12, C13, C15, C16, C17, C18, C19, C20. West
tower, nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch. Coursed limestone and
ironstone rubble, limestone ashlar, plain tiled and leaded roofs.
C13 west tower of 3 storeys of coursed ironstone and limestone rubble
with lancet windows with roll moulded heads in first and second stares.
Paired belfry lights in topmost stage with monolithic heads beneath
chamfered hood moulds. Tower surmounted by C15 embattled and pinnacled
roof with ogee-headed merlons. Decorated with blind panels of cusped
lozenges containing shields above a good set of gargoyles and grotesque
heads at the angles. Side walls of nave have two-light C15 four-centred
clerestorey windows under chamfered arches, two on each side, walls have
parapet decorated with shield and lozenge motif and pinnacles with
gargoyles beneath. C20 boiler house at west end of north aisle. Western
half of north aisle in banded ironstone and limestone, apparently,
C15. West wall has restored C15 three light window beneath four-centred
arch with tympanum above containing mouchettes. C15 north door beneath
hood mould and simple label stops. 3 C15 triple lights in north wall, one
now blocked, and beyond a C16 triple light beneath a simple chamfered hood
mould which marks a remodelling of the aisle. East window of the north
aisle blocked and a buttress covers it. East wall of the chancel is
C15 and has triple C19 lancets, South wall of chancel has 2, C13 Y
tracery windows of two lights, and one early C13 geometric two-light
window. Also the reveal of C12 window beside the C15 buttress which in
turn covers an earlier pilaster strip, visible on E. face. South nave
wall has later C14 window with reticulated tracery and a second C15
window west of the porch which has a flat lintel with human mask label
stops. Scar of earlier porch visible above C15 south porch, steeply pitched
roof. Porch in limestone ashlar with coped plinth and angle buttresses.
Stone roof supported on six ribs, four-centred door, crested gable with
niche at ridge, and pyramidal blocks above outer angles. South door recut
in C19, surmounted by C15 niche with foliated ogee head, stone side
benches. Porch has gargoyle on west side and water chute on the east.
Interior: C12 north arcade of two bays supported by single pillar with
square abacus and scalloped cushion capital, east respond similar, but
that to the west is a C15 grotesque head, doubtless modified when a
statue niche was inserted beneath. The eastern jamb has a C15 ogee-
headed niche cut into it, now blocked, and a second smaller niche on the
north side. The arches have a step and a chamfer with a chamfered hood
mould, then above the central pillar is a C13 statue bracket. C13 west
tower arch of two orders with pointed head, above is a square-headed
doorway with an C18 lattice wood screen. Rear arch of more westerly
window in the south wall of the nave is C19; eastern jamb of the other
window has two C15 statue brackets, one castellated, and there is a third
immediately east of the window. Nave roof is C15 timber: supported on
contemporary corbels which portray shield bearing angels. North aisle
has a C15 roof in its westen part and a C16 one further east, with canted
trusses; the eastern part, used as a vestry now, was formerly the
morturary chapel of the Hussey and is still richly paved in black and
white marble. Wide four centred arch opens into the aisle from the chancel;
the east respond bears a crowned Tudor rose. Fine collection of Hussey
monuments which led to blocking of earlier windows in the northand east
walls of the aisles, and the insertion of a compensating early C16
three-light window in the north wall. The east wall is flanked by
angle niches, that to the north is surmounted by a richly crocketed
canopy and supported by a shield bearing angel with fleur de lys device,
the southern niche is less well preserved. Chancel arch is early C13
with fine waterleaf capitals and nook shafts with decorative collars
half way up. Flanked by C19 Norman revival squint on the north and the
four-centred C15 door to rood loft stairs which lead to a higher loft
door to the south. In the west wall of the chancel, the upper parts
of the capitals, imposts and springers of a chancel arch of C11
character can be seen; the jambs and the rudimentary bulbous capitals are
probably Saxon, though the voussoirs of the roll moulded arch above are
clearly C12. Fragments of C12 north chancel arcade of three bays can
be seen at the north east angle of the chancel and beneath the C15
three light window in the north wall. The easternmost bay was blocked
by the insertion of a C15 easter sepulchre under a heavily moulded and
embattled ogee arch with pinnacled 'reredos' supported by kneeling
angels to either side. C12 sedilia in south wall. Altar and all
fitting C19 apart from superb altar rails of c1700 with broad arm rest on
top, a wealth of well-turned balusters and a splendid upward sweep at the
centre. The font under the tower is C15 and octagonal; the sides of the
bowl bear cusped lozenge panels containing alternating shields and flower
motifs. On the shaft are four-centred arched cusped niches containing
figures of Old Testament prophets carved in high relief. Monuments:- those
in the north aisle are a notable collection; on the east wall is a
marble plaque to Sir Thomas Hussey bart., d.1698 with a gadrooned base supporting
a portrait bust and surmounted by a scrolly cartouche bearing a shield of arms.
On the north wall, monuments to Sir William Hussey, d.1691 and Dame Sarah Hussey
d.1697 with broken pediment, scrolly cartouches and cherubs. Also an altar
tomb in the north east angle of the chapel to Thomas Hussey, son of Sir Thomas,
d.1676 aged 15 years, black marble ledger slab above limestone tomb chest.
Further west is a second altar tomb resting on lion supporters with a garooned
base bearing an incised effigy of William Smith, d.1550. Parish chest dated
1701, initialled AF.

Listing NGR: SK9432643388

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.