History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St. Andrew

A Grade I Listed Building in Folkingham, Lincolnshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8904 / 52°53'25"N

Longitude: -0.4092 / 0°24'33"W

OS Eastings: 507126

OS Northings: 333731

OS Grid: TF071337

Mapcode National: GBR FRY.Z7T

Mapcode Global: WHGKS.PMB1

Plus Code: 9C4XVHRR+48

Entry Name: Church of St. Andrew

Listing Date: 30 October 1968

Grade: I

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1062733

English Heritage Legacy ID: 194277

Location: Folkingham, South Kesteven, Lincolnshire, NG34

County: Lincolnshire

Civil Parish: Folkingham

Built-Up Area: Folkingham

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: South Lafford

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in


TF 0633-0733 (north side)
2/63 Church of
30.10.68 St. Andrew
G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, late C13, early C14, c.1435, late C15,
restored 1825, 1858 by Kirk and Parry, and in 1860 by Edward
Browning. Limestone ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble. Slate
roofs with stone coped gables with finials, some plain tiles,
some decorative ridge tiles. West tower, nave with north and
south aisles, south porch, chancel with north organ chamber. C15
4 stage west tower clasped by C14 north and south aisles, with
plinth and moulded string courses. Multi-stage clasping
buttresses define tower with recessed, moulded angles and 8 slit
stair lights to left of south-west buttress. West doorway of
c.1435 with flattened triangular head, richly moulded jambs on
high chamfered plinths, tympanum with 3 shields (originally
depicting arms of John, Baron de Beaufort and his wife), flower
heads and foliage, hood mould supported on single, slender
flanking shafts with polygonal capitals, and plank door. 2
monuments to left of doorway; one, of slate to George Cooper,
died 1798; the other of limestone with winged cherub head, to
Thomas Cooper, died 1736. Slate monument on north buttress to
John Cooper, died 1761. Moulded string course with large west
window above flanked by single crocketed and finialled niches set
in buttresses, with ornate, pierced pedestals to support statues
no longer extant. West window with pointed head and richly
moulded surround, 4 lights divided by transom and with ogee
shaped heads, panel tracery and hood mould running into string
course on each side. West and north sides with small, square
cusped opening and south side with blocked square opening.
Moulded string course above. Narrow, pointed opening on all 4
sides, each with 2 lights and transom, cusped, pointed heads,
quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded string course defines bell
stage with bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pointed head
divided into 2 pointed lights with Y tracery, each division in
turn, divided into 2 cusped, ogee headed lights with transom,
elongated quatrefoil and hood mould. South bell-opening blocked
by clock of 1897. Moulded eaves above with friezewith cusped
geometrical decoration above and below; projecting corner
gargoyles. Single corbel head in centre of each side supports
angle shaft rising to base of central pinnacle above;
battlements and 16 ornate pinnacles in all. Early C14 north
aisle with moulded plinth and string course, and regularly placed
2 stage buttresses. West window with flattened triangular head
and 3 cusped lights with flattened triangular heads, and hood
mould. North side with 4 windows, that to the west with a
flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights, withflattened
triangular heads flanking central pointed head and hood mould.
Rectangular window to east with 3 cusped ogee headed lights and
cusped reticulated tracery. Window beyond with flattened
triangular head with 3 cusped lights with central ogee headed
light flanked by round headed lights, and flowing tracery.
Rectangular window beyond to east with 3 cusped ogee headed
lights and reticulated tracery. East end of north aisle with
pointed opening blocked by C19 organ chamber. Moulded eaves and
parapet. Clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating with 3
windows, each with a flattened triangular head and 3 richly
cusped ogee headed lights. Moulded eaves above. Organ chamber of
1858 projecting slightly to left, with doorway to left with
segmental head and panelled door. Rectangular window beyond with
2 cusped, ogee headed lights. Ironstone late C13 chancel with
stone recording restoration of 1825. Moulded plinth, C19 east
window with pointed head, 4 cusped lights, geometric tracery,
hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with 2
windows, each of 2 pointed, cusped lights, that to right with
pointed head and C19 tracery, that to left with semi-circular
head and late C13 tracery, hood mould and head label stops.
South aisle of nave with plinth and moulded string course. East
end of C14 south aisle with rectangular window and 3 cusped ogee
headed lights. South side with 2 rectangular windows, each of 3
cusped ogee headed lights, divided by a 2 stage buttress. Late
C15 2 storey porch to west with moulded plinth and 2 moulded
string courses. East side with first floor window with flattened
triangular head and 3 cusped pointed lights. South side flanked
by 2 stage diagonal buttresses. South doorway with moulded,
flattened triangular head with hood mould, jambs with semi-
circular flanking shafts with polygonal capitals. Window above
with flattened triangular head and 3 cusped pointed lights,
ornate empty niche and sundial above. Moulded eaves with
gargoyles, battlements with central cross finial and flanking
ornate pinnacles. West side with first floor projecting chimney
stack with panel tracery; polygonal stair turret to left with
moulded eaves, gargoyle and parapet. Oval slate monument set
below to John Baily, 1839. Porch interior with flanking stone
benches. Single shafts with moulded bases, in each corner,
support tierceron rib vault with 4 shields. C14 south doorway
with pointed, roll moulded head, flanking slender shafts with
moulded capitals, defaced shields with arms of the Earls of
Chester and of the Beaumont family, and plank doors. South side
of aisle to west of porch with rectangular window with 2 cusped
ogee headed lights. Large projecting stack to west with 3 ashlar
monuments, the inscription of one, illegible, the others to John
Lacey, died 1682 and Mary Lacey, died 1707. West side of south
aisle with window with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped lights
and hood mould. Clerestory with pilaster buttresses alternating
with 3 windows, each with a flattened triangular head and 3
richly cusped ogee headed lights. Moulded eaves above. Very
tall interior tower arch of c.1435, open to north and south; all
three archways with pointed, double chamfered heads, semi-
circular jambs and polygonal capitals. Small staircase doorway
to west with four centred head, chamfered surround and panelled
door. Tower with cusped tierceron vault with central oculus.
C14 3 bay north and south arcades with polygonal responds,
octagonal piers and richly moulded pointed heads with hood moulds
and human heads in spandrels. The central bays of each arcade
mostly rebuilt in Cl9. Late C13 chancel arch with pointed,
double chamfered head dying into rectangular jambs. East end of
north aisle with blocked, pointed opening. Small rectangular
doorway in north side of wall projecting from north side of
chancel arch, with chamfered surround and plank door. South
aisle with C14 piscina with cusped, pointed head, hood mould with
crockets and finial and large head label stops. Small sculptural
fragment set in east wall of south aisle. Small doorway giving
access to stairs leading to upper storey of porch, with four
centred head, chamfered surround and plank door. Chancel arch
with fine screen of c.1330 with 3 panels on each side of central
pointed opening, lower panels of early flowing blind tracery and
foliate decoration, upper openwork traceried panels with cusped
ogee heads, tall crocketed finials and incipient panel tracery.
Chancel with large late C12 north organ arch, probably a re-set
chancel arch, with pointed double chamfered head; western jamb
of 3 rolls with beaded scalloped capitals; semi-circular eastern
jamb with fillet and moulded capital. Sedilia of c.1300 reduced
from 3 openings in 1858, now with 2 trefoil headed openings,
central shaft with cusped responds with rich foliate capitals.
Piscina of c.1300 to east with cusped trefoiled head set under
ogee hood mould with finial and large head label stops. Small
rectangular aumbry between sedilia and piscina. C14 choir stalls
with blind rich traceried panels with cusped ogee heads and
rosettes. C18 font with fluted bowl and heavy baluster pedestal.
Roofs of 1860. Second window from east in north side with 3
roundels of C15 stained glass with 3 golden haired heads. C19
pews, altar rail, pulpit and lectern. East window of north aisle
with faint graffiti scratched in the stone of a design for a
Decorated window. Remains of clock of 1690 in C16 chest.
Fragmentary stocks and whipping post in south aisle. Monuments
in chancel include one of slate to Isaac Cookson, died 1784; a
grey and white marble monument to Elizabeth Cookson, died 1839;
another in grey and white marble to Richard Tol ler, died 1751; a
slate monument to Isaac Cookson, died 1797; another in slate to
Elizabeth Blomfield, died 1854. Monuments in nave include one in
inlaid marble and ashlar to John Rogeley, died 1780; another in
black slate with white lettering to John Morrell, died 1781; an
ashlar monument to William Lane, died 1705; a grey and white
marble monument to Benjamin Smith, died 1807; a large slate
monument with cherubs to George Sutton, died 1715, and family; a
grey and white marble monument with urn, to Edward South, died
1813. 2 monuments above vestry, one of ashlar with urn, one of
black and white marble with urn, both with illegible

Listing NGR: TF0712633731

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.