This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1872 / 52°11'14"N
Longitude: -2.2215 / 2°13'17"W
OS Eastings: 384952
OS Northings: 254354
OS Grid: SO849543
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.WP1
Mapcode Global: VH92T.F9X3
Plus Code: 9C4V5QPH+V9
Entry Name: No 9 and Attached Wall to Left at Rear
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063821
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488654
Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
Tagged with: Building
SO85SW COLLEGE GREEN
620-1/3/162 (South side)
and attached wall to left
(Formerly Listed as:
House and attached wall. Late C16 or early C17, with
rebuilding of mid C18 and later additions and alterations
including restorations c1970-90. Timber frame with facades of
pinkish-red brick in Flemish bond with plain tile double pitch
roof and 2 left end brick stacks, side stack to front at right
and rear stack; all with oversailing course and pots.
Pinkish-brown brick wall with purple brick copings.
PLAN: unusual plan, with three parallel ranges comprising
kitchen to S, central service room and largest range to N. C18
- early C19 extensions along W elevation, including former
stair tower to W of N wing. Exterior: N elevation refronted in
brick in late C18. 3 storeys with attic in gable at rear, 3
first floor windows. Timber framing: exposed post to SE. Front
facade: plinth. 6/6 sashes in near flush frames with flat
arches of gauged brick throughout. 3-course first and second
floor bands and moulded eaves band. Entrance at right: 4
raised and fielded panel door with fluted frieze, divided
overlight with margin lights in porch with slender octagonal
pilasters, frieze and cornice. Rear: first floor has canted
bay with 10/10 between 6/6 sashes; second floor has two 6/6
sashes; attic has 6/6 fixed light.
INTERIOR: cyma and ovolo moulded beams to ground and first
floors, with early sawn floorboards and some late C16/C17
doors; the kitchen has large open fireplace with chamfered
bressumer. The central service room has remarkably rare and
fine example of service screen: upper row of cupboards, with
mullioned door and panelled doors with decorative piercing;
cupboard door to left of ribbed plank door to cellar.
Transverse beam, former partition wall, marks position of
service passage from kitchen to W range. Fine late C17
staircase, with pulvinated and turned balusters, relating to
contemporary cross windows in stair turret but not to former
newel stair, which rises within the body of the C16/early
house to the attic. The hall, clearly the result of late C18
reworking, has late C17 bolection moulded panels to dado.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall L-plan, curved to angle with brick
buttresses, approximately 2 metres high and 30 metres long.
HISTORICAL NOTE: known in the C17 as The Organist's House.
From 1784 Widow Cowe lived here, followed by Mary Isaac, Revd
Charles Yardley, Miss Susan Shapland (from c1821), Mary
Shapland from 1850. In 1881 DW Sampson, the second master of
King's School lived here. Knowles notes that the whole of the
south side of College Green had been service buildings to the
medieval monastery. A complex multi-phase house.
All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a
significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral
(qv) to the north side.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 316; Knowles JM: College Green:
Worcester 1800-1900: Worcester: 1995-: 22-3).
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings