This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1882 / 52°11'17"N
Longitude: -2.22 / 2°13'11"W
OS Eastings: 385059
OS Northings: 254457
OS Grid: SO850544
Mapcode National: GBR 1G4.X3X
Mapcode Global: VH92T.G8RD
Plus Code: 9C4V5QQJ+72
Entry Name: No 15 and Wall Adjoining to East
Listing Date: 22 May 1954
Last Amended: 27 June 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063827
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488660
Location: Cathedral, Worcester, Worcestershire, WR1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedral
Built-Up Area: Worcester
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Worcester St Nicholas and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SO8554SW COLLEGE GREEN
620-1/20/168 (North side)
and wall adjoining to
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now offices for the King's School, and wall adjoining.
c1720-30 with later alterations including those Mid C19.
Reddish-brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar plinth,
doorcase, pilasters, keystones and cornice; hipped plain tile
roof; 2 tall brick lateral stacks with oversailing courses and
pots and 2 tall rear stacks.
PLAN: double depth with central hallway and ranges to set back
to right and at rear.
EXTERIOR: main range of 2 storeys on half-basement with
attics, 7 first-floor windows. Raised plinth with moulded
coping surmounted by clasping pilasters with horizontal
rustication. 6/6 sashes to ground and first floors with
moulded sills, flat arches of gauged brick, central keystones
with cornices (that to first floor at centre is embellished
with foliate motif). Dentil cornice continues to returns. Low
coped parapet has end and 3 regularly-spaced pilasters with
horizontal rustication. 3 roof dormers with casement windows.
Half-basement has 2-light mullion openings, now with bars.
Central entrance: flight of 3 semi-circular roll-edged steps
and upper step to 8-raised-and-fielded-panel door in
pedimented Gibbs surround. 2 cast-iron boot scrapers. Right
return has cogged band over first floor. Range set back at
right of 2 storeys with attic, 4 first-floor windows, with
outer 2/2 sashes and two 6/6 sashes between, all with cambered
flat arches; gable-ended roof dormer has casement; end stack.
Left return has 4 first-floor windows, all embellished as
front facade and with similar clasping pilasters to end. Rear
range under hipped roof has 2-light mullion windows with
lancet lights; attic dormers with decorative bargeboards;
INTERIOR: hallway has panelled dado and 2 round arches with
raised-and-fielded panels leading to openwell staircase with
closed string and carved tread ends, rod-on-vase balusters
with square knops; moulded cornice.6-raised-and-fielded-panel
doors. Hall has panelled window seat.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall to east extends for approximately 10
metres x 2.75 metres high with double-chamfered stone copings;
inserted opening. Abuts Edgar Tower (qv) at east. HISTORICAL
NOTE: built on he site of the Almoner's house and part of the
Priory. In 1797 Canon Thomas James lived here; followed in
1804 by Canon Francis Seymour St John; and from 1833 by Canon
Edward Winnington Ingrams; Canon John Fortesque from 1851; and
Canon James Bowling from 1869. It became The Deanery in 1942.
Abuts the remains of the Guesten Hall (Scheduled Ancient
Monument), whose roof is now displayed at the Avoncroft Open
Air Museum, Bromsgrove.
All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a
significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral
(qv) to the north side. NMR photograph.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner: N: Worcestershire:
Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 316; Knowles JM: College Green,
Worcester. 1800-1900.: Worcester: 1995-: 23).
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings