This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4956 / 51°29'44"N
Longitude: -0.3249 / 0°19'29"W
OS Eastings: 516379
OS Northings: 178734
OS Grid: TQ163787
Mapcode National: GBR 73.DRL
Mapcode Global: VHGQW.BN2V
Entry Name: Boston Manor Underground Station
Listing Date: 21 March 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1063901
English Heritage Legacy ID: 488535
Location: Hounslow, London, TW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Brentford
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Thomas Hanwell
Church of England Diocese: London
787/0/10127 BOSTON MANOR ROAD
Boston Manor Underground Station
Piccadilly Line Underground station. 1933-34 by Charles Holden, with earlier fabric at platform level dating from 1883. Brown brick facing, reinforced concrete structure. Glazed ceramic tiles with enamelled London Underground logo on tower; vertical strip of glass bricks forming lighting feature along upper stages of tower. EXTERIOR: Single storey structure on girders over railway bridge: booking hall to right, lit with clerestory; projecting shop unit to left with curved picture window. Flat roofs of concrete now with safety rails to edge (added recently).
INTERIOR: Ticket Hall modernised in 1980s but retains ticket office kiosk with banded tile decoration. Modern steel doors.
PLATFORM LEVEL: Reached via stairs with cast iron balustrades, remaining from the original station. Each platform retains fretted wooden awning from the earlier District Railway station of 1883, with part-glazed timber roof carried on cast iron roof trusses, supported on cast iron columns with capitals and octagonal bases. Metal-framed windows at western ends of platforms date from 1933-34 rebuilding.
HISTORY: Boston Manor Station was opened on 1st May 1883 as part of the District Railway extension to Hounslow Barracks. It was taken over by the Piccadilly Line extension, wholly rebuilt at upper levels, and re-opened on 25th March 1934; the old station was demolished late in 1932. Occupying a narrow site because of the approach to the adjoining depot, the station was built out over the tracks. The distinctive tower feature, strongly influenced by contemporary Dutch and German architecture, was intended to create a landmark building amid this area of low-rise suburban housing. A highly characteristic example of Charles Holden's much-admired Modern Movement designs for London Underground.
REFERENCES: Laurence Menear, 'London's Undergound Stations' (1985 ed.), 19 and 83-84; David Lawrence, 'Underground Architecture' (1994), 82, 110-11, 119.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings