This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5121 / 51°30'43"N
Longitude: -0.0881 / 0°5'17"W
OS Eastings: 532767
OS Northings: 180977
OS Grid: TQ327809
Mapcode National: GBR SD.C3
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.F884
Entry Name: Phoenix House
Listing Date: 1 August 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199562
Location: City of London, London, EC4N
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Candlewick
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Stephen Walbrook
Church of England Diocese: London
KING WILLIAM STREET EC4
5002 (West Side)
Nos 3 to 7 (consec)
TQ 3281 SE 10/N/7
TQ 3280 NE 16/N/7 1.8.75.
Includes No 14 Abchurch Lane. 1915, by H L Anderson, extended 1931-32 by Campbell-Jones and Sons, 4 main storeys; stone; wide classical front of 11 bays (3+5+3) with the centre recessed above 1st floor; ground floor channelled with alternating courses plain and vermiculated forming voussoirs to round headed arches; Vitruvian scroll frieze and mutule cornice at 1st floor level; the lst floor treated as a mezzanine with panelled piers between the windows forming pedestals to the giant order which unites the 2nd and 3rd floors; columns to the recessed centre and pilasters left and right; bracketed and modillioned cornice with attic storeys to left and right and balustraded parapet to centre. The central entrance with doric blocked columns in antis and entablature with broken segmental pediment and bronze phoenix. Iron balconies to 2nd floor windows. Return to Abchurch Lane, including No 14, in simplified manner.
Listing NGR: TQ3276580966
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings