This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5135 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.079 / 0°4'44"W
OS Eastings: 533397
OS Northings: 181141
OS Grid: TQ333811
Mapcode National: GBR VC.DN
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.L734
Entry Name: Church of St Katherine Cree
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199574
Location: City of London, London, EC3A
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Aldgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Helen Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
LEADENHALL STREET EC3
Church of St Katherine Cree
TQ 3381 SW 11/367 4.1.50.
1628 to 31. Tower circa 1504. Nearly rectangular, aisled building with clerestory
incorporating tower at south-west corner. Exterior of squared rubble and Portland
stone with 3-light windows of gothic form but stepped, flat heads. Plain parapets
to side aisles and cornice to clerestory. Arched south doorway at base of tower
with pair of Ionic columns supporting pediment. Tower very simple with round-arched
openings, 1 gothic window to west, plain parapet and wooden cupola with Doric colonnade
and lead covered dome. East elevation obscured by adjoining buildings. South
side has 2 elaborate rain water heads and pipes plus 3 plainer ones to clerestory
and 1 each to west and north sides. Large, square-headed west window now blocked.
Arched and corniced entrance beneath it with pair of simple late C18/early C19
iron gates. Interior has classical arcades with Corinthian columns, without entablature,
supporting semi-circular arches and pilastered clerestory. Ribbed plaster vault
of late gothic character. Square-headed east window with glazing of circular form.
Original, arched openings to north and east of tower. West organ gallery supported
on Corinthian colonnade with fine late C17 organ case. Mid C17 font and cover.
Doorcase dated 1693 and pulpit of similar date with simple (later ?) tester.
Royal arms. Monuments, especially to Sir Nicholas Throkmorton, 1570. Aisles now
enclosed by low screens. Vestry to north-east.
Listing NGR: TQ3339981139
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings