This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5145 / 51°30'52"N
Longitude: -0.079 / 0°4'44"W
OS Eastings: 533395
OS Northings: 181257
OS Grid: TQ333812
Mapcode National: GBR VC.D8
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.L63B
Entry Name: Synagogue
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Last Amended: 10 November 1977
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064745
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199303
Location: City of London, London, EC3A
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Aldgate
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Helen Bishopsgate
Church of England Diocese: London
BEVIS MARKS EC3
Synagogue (Formerly listed
as Synagogue of Spanish
and Portuguese Jews, No 4
TQ 3381 SW 11/363 4.1.50.
1701. Plain, rectangular building of red brick with modest dressings of Portland
stone. 2 tiers of windows, segmentally arched below and round-arched above, with
semi-elliptical heads to larger, central openings in east and west elevations.
Simple cornice and parapet. West doorway with segmental pediment on consoles and
lamp on decorative iron bracket. Plain interior with gallery supported on Doric
columns to 3 sides. Ceiling altered apparently in C19. Fittings remarkably complete and little altered from original arrangement, some being older than present building. They include wainscot, benches, railings, very finely carved echal or reredos, and 7 large brass chandeliers. This was the 2nd synagogue erected in England after the resettlement of 1656 and in its little altered state is of exceptional historic interest.
Listing NGR: TQ3339581257
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings