This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5136 / 51°30'49"N
Longitude: -0.0872 / 0°5'14"W
OS Eastings: 532825
OS Northings: 181144
OS Grid: TQ328811
Mapcode National: GBR SC.KL
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.F7R0
Plus Code: 9C3XGW77+C4
Entry Name: Royal Exchange
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1064713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199407
Location: City of London, London, EC3V
County: City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Cornhill
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Michael Cornhill
Church of England Diocese: London
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/02/2016
TQ 3281 SE
CORNHILL EC3 (North Side)
1841 to 1844, by Sir William Tite. Building of two main storeys round arcaded courtyard, formerly open. Rich, heavy classical style in Portland stone. Eight columned portico to west with figure sculpture in tympanum of pediment and three arched openings behind with barrel vaults above. Side elevations pilastered, with arcades incorporating shops below a mezzanine and upper windows with shaped heads. Three central bays have richer carving and single, recessed entrance. Two statues to north elevation. Attic storey behind modelled parapet and balustrade. Pairs of chimney stacks connected by arches. Curved corners at rear and central portico of four engaged columns. Pilastered tower above with large statue of Sir Thomas Evesham, pair of consoles and two flanking turrets, topped by urns and lantern with pairs of columns set diagonally and crowning cupola.
Interior approached through decorative iron gates. Two storeys, treated with arcading and orders of engaged Doric and Ionic columns. Arched and pedimented first floor windows and large bracketed cornice now supporting heavy roof of cast iron and glass with coving, central dome and much enrichment. Central area has patterned paving. Cloister walls plain with series of C19 and C20 historical paintings of varied quality. Statues of Queen Elizabeth 1844, by M.L Watson, Charles II by Gibbons (?), Queen Victoria by Sir William Hamo Thorneycroft, 1895, Prince Albert by J.G Lough, 1841/42, Bust of Abraham Lincoln by Andrew O'Connor, 1930.
The design of the building perpetuates the general form of its predecessors of 1566 and 1667-69. Listed grade I as the symbolic centre of the commercial life of the City as much as for its architectural quality.
Listing NGR: TQ3282581144
Other nearby listed buildings