This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4503 / 51°27'0"N
Longitude: -0.1588 / 0°9'31"W
OS Eastings: 528036
OS Northings: 173972
OS Grid: TQ280739
Mapcode National: GBR F2.6NQ
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.6TD3
Plus Code: 9C3XFR2R+4F
Entry Name: Number 74 with Boundary Walls, Piers and Railings, Nightingale Lane
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065511
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207089
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW12
Electoral Ward/Division: Balham
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Battersea St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
NIGHTINGALE LANE SW12
No 74 with boundary walls, piers and railings
Later 19th Century, circa 1874. An Italian Gothic symmetrical three-bay house of basement, two-storeys and half-dormers, these last now altered to a full second floor. A spectacular tower rises at the farther left angle.
The whole is of pale gault bricks and stone with elaborate detailing to arches and strings. On the ground floor granite shafts with stiffleaf capitals support the deep round-arched porch with gabled roof. The flanking canted bow windows have granite piers to the round-arched sashes and bold cogged parapets. On the first floor the single centre sash and twin sashes of the side bay are linked by impost bands below round-arched heads. The three sashes of the former half-dormers have gauged cambered arches. The tower has at ground floor level gauged cambered-arch twin sashes under a Gothic arch. Above is a twin lancet with colonnette under a Gothic arch, then twin shouldered arch sashes set in the spandrel of a Gothic arch. Still higher a rich band and gauged round arch frame the head of a single sash. Close-set brackets support a balcony with elaborate iron balustrade to the top stage with its triplets of round-arched lights. Still closer-set brackets support the eaves of the hipped roof, which has a delicate iron finial.
To the right of the house is a three-bay extension. Stock brick screen wall along west boundary. Boundary walls with brick, stone-capped piers and iron railings. [Included despite the recently added storey.]
Listing NGR: TQ2803673972
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings