This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4489 / 51°26'55"N
Longitude: -0.1598 / 0°9'35"W
OS Eastings: 527968
OS Northings: 173815
OS Grid: TQ279738
Mapcode National: GBR F2.DDG
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.5VV5
Entry Name: Ferndale
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065510
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207088
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW12
Electoral Ward/Division: Nightingale
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Balham Hill The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
NIGHTINGALE LANE SW12 LANE SW1 2
TQ 2773 14/1
A mid-19th Century Italianate house built by George Jennings for himself in the
form of a symmetrical 3-bay villa linked by a recessed tower to a second
symmetrical 3-bay block. The upper stage of the tower is altered. The whole
house is of 3-storeys and basement, stone-faced with terracotta dressings and
slate roof. The ground floor reads as a rusticated podium to the rusticated angle
The villa has a Doric porch with coupled columns on plinth blocks, recessed
tripartite door surround and flanking tripartite windows.
Above a bandcourse and cillband the first floor has a single centre window with
entablature and pediment on consoles. This is flanked by tripartite windows with
engaged columns to the piers supporting entablatures on consoles, a segmental
pediment placed over each centre. Each window has an apron of blind balustrading.
The second floor fenestration similar but without the cornices.
The richly-bracketed frieze is crowned by the prominent modillioned eaves-cornice
of the shallow hipped roof.
There are 5 round-headed dormers.
The stacks are rusticated, some having a blind-arch motif.
The articulation of the second block is similar but the outer bays have square bow
windows at ground and first floors, flanking tripartite windows in the centre bay.
Jennings was a stable local builder who did much to develop the area.
Extensive alteration and restoration 1980.
Listing NGR: TQ2796873815
Other nearby listed buildings