This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4655 / 51°27'55"N
Longitude: -0.1573 / 0°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 528096
OS Northings: 175666
OS Grid: TQ280756
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.VV
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.7F5D
Plus Code: 9C3XFR8V+53
Entry Name: Church of the Ascension
Listing Date: 28 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065541
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207064
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11
Electoral Ward/Division: Shaftesbury
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lavender Hill The Ascension and Battersea St Philip with St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LAVENDER HILL SW11
Church of the Ascension
TQ 2875 10/3 28.6.54
1876 to 1883. Designed by James Brooks. Finished 1883 by J T Micklethwaite.
Tall nave and chancel with a round apse under one long slate roof; and low aisle
carried round the east end. Chapel to north and vestries at north-east, built on
slope of the hill. Red brick with stone dressings.
The tower was never built. Interior of fair-faced red brick. Simple stone piers
support brick arcades. Clerestory of lancets above. Wooden barrel vault with
Rood and loft George Wallace 1910.
The glass by Kempe and Tower.
Listing NGR: TQ2809675666
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings