This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5187 / 51°31'7"N
Longitude: -0.0357 / 0°2'8"W
OS Eastings: 536384
OS Northings: 181805
OS Grid: TQ363818
Mapcode National: GBR K4.1NY
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.B3G2
Entry Name: 46 and 48, Copperfield Road E3
Listing Date: 11 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065752
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206464
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E3
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: St Dunstan's
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Bow Common
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3681 17/1 COPPERFIELD ROAD E3
II Nos 46 and 48
Former Free Ragged Day School, now warehouse. Built as warehouses in early 1870's,
No 46 converted for use as school in 1876, No 48 in 1895. Some alterations.
Yellow brick, painted to No 48. Roof not visible. Three storeys, No 46 of 6 bays,
No 48 of 3.Entrances to second and fifth bays of No 46 and to centre of No 48
which break forward slightly. Paired windows to No 48 and to first and sixth bays
of No 46, except top floor. Segmental treads. Sashes, mainly tripartite to No 46.
Plateglass,Pilaster strips to ends and centre of No 46. Cornice and central
pediment with attached belcote to No 46. Parapet to No 48. Wallcrane to centre
bay of No 48 and one to each of second and fifth bay of No 46, at top floor level.
School provided by Dr Barnardo. Understood to have been one of the largest ragged
schools in London and the last to close, in 1908. Also operated as Factory Girls
Club and Institute, 1877 to 1915.
Listing NGR: TQ3638481805
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings