This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.8313 / 53°49'52"N
Longitude: -1.3938 / 1°23'37"W
OS Eastings: 439991
OS Northings: 437400
OS Grid: SE399374
Mapcode National: GBR LSQ4.19
Mapcode Global: WHDBD.KYGQ
Plus Code: 9C5WRJJ4+GF
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 3 March 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1065979
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422504
Location: Barwick in Elmet and Scholes, Leeds, LS15
Civil Parish: Barwick in Elmet and Scholes
Built-Up Area: Barwick in Elmet
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Barwick
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BARWICK IN ELMET AND SCHOLES
MAIN STREET LS15
(east side, off),
The Old Rectory
Rectory now house. Late C17, but before 1695 for the Reverend Jordan Tancred,
early C19 alteration. Rendered brick, Westmorland green slate roof. Double-depth.
2 storeys and attics. 5-bay facade, symmetrical originally.
Garden front: rusticated quoins. Central doorway, perhaps a window originally.
1st and 2nd ground-floor bays altered with C19 canted bay window. All other bays
have sash windows with projecting sills and flush-wood architraves. Moulded
gutter brackets. 2-span hipped roof with 2 original small dormers with hipped
roofs and 4-pane sashes. 2 end stacks (reduced in height), that to right embraced
by small gable and has lower ridge connected to slope of hip. Attached to right
and left are later additions not of special interest. Rear, fronting yard, forms
entrance front: fenestration as front; added early C19 square porch, doorway with
astragal glazed overlight; frieze, casement-moulded cornice and blocking course.
Interior: rear doorway opens into wide stair-hall with 2 facing doorways with
architraves, panelled inner surrounds and 6-panel doors with raised-and-fielded
panels. To left, at right angles, doorway with glazed fanlight and dentil impost
in architrave with false keystone. Facing this door dog-leg closed-string
staircase of fine quality: oak moulded handrail, square newels and finely-turned
chunky balusters of iron-twist surmounted by vase-shaped baluster; panelled dado
with raised-and-fielded panels. Dining-room has dentil cornice to ceiling and C19
panelled window shutters. The attics have steeply-pitched roofs with principal
rafter trusses with high collars and diamond-set ridge pieces.
The best example of a Queen-Anne house within the parish. Thoresby tells us that
the "Reverend Mr. Jordan Tancred the present Rector (of the Church of All Saints,
Barwick (q.v.)), and Chaplain of his Grace the Duke of Leeds, is now building here
a stately house for himself and his successors". Tancred died 7th June 1695 so the
house must be before this. He was succeeded by George Flaxton who resided at the
Rectory from 9th September 1703.
Ralph Thoresby, Ducatus Leodiensis, (1715) p234.
Listing NGR: SE3999137400
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings