This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1267 / 51°7'36"N
Longitude: 0.2587 / 0°15'31"E
OS Eastings: 558154
OS Northings: 138807
OS Grid: TQ581388
Mapcode National: GBR MPZ.687
Mapcode Global: VHHQD.FYM4
Plus Code: 9F3247G5+MF
Entry Name: 2A, THE PANTILES (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 20 May 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 168136
Location: Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2
Electoral Ward/Division: Pantiles and St Mark's
Built-Up Area: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Tunbridge Wells King Charles the Martyr
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
In the entry for THE PANTILES
1/10 nos 2A & 4
the description shall be amended to head:
Formerly a bath house now a shop . c.1804 with late C19 shopfront.
Stuccoed. Corner building with 3 windows to each front. Principal front to
south west has high parapet with moulded eaves cornice and 4 stone urns.
1st floor has 3x20 pane sashes flanked by pilasters and ground floor has large
round-headed windows flanked by pilasters. The attached verandah forms no
6 The Pantiles (qv 1/337). The south east elevation has a moulded cornice.
1st floor has 3 sashes in moulded architraves and late C19 shopfront with
deep fascia curved at the ends, shopfronts with marginal glazing at the top
and pilasters and elaborate wrought iron overthrow above.
1. THE PANTILES
(North West Side)
TQ 5838 NW 1/10 20.5.52.
This building stands over the Chalybeate spring which was discovered in 1606.
The building dates from 1804 and was formerly the Bath House but beneath it are
the remains of the Cold Bath built in 1702. It was altered in the Mid Cl9.
2 storeys stuccoed. 3 windows facing south-west and 3 windows facing south-east.
4 pilasters support the cornice. High parapet above containing 4 more pilasters
carried up to their own cornices. The ground floor has round-headed windows
flanked by pilasters. Above are large square windows in moulded architrave surrounds
with glazing bars missing. On the ground floor of the south-west front a verandah
or portico has been added about 1840. The centre projects slightly. The whole
has slender fluted columns supporting the entablature, with plumed capitals.
Beneath the verandah are steps down and 2 basins containing the original spring.
Bronze plaque with the inscription "Dudley 3rd Lord North discovered the Chalybeate
water here Anno Domini 1606" with a profile of Lord North.
Nos 2 to 28 (even) and Nos 38 to 72 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ5815038809
Other nearby listed buildings