History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Crown Public House the London Hippodrome Theatre

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, Westminster

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5115 / 51°30'41"N

Longitude: -0.129 / 0°7'44"W

OS Eastings: 529934

OS Northings: 180839

OS Grid: TQ299808

Mapcode National: GBR HD.6B

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.Q85L

Plus Code: 9C3XGV6C+JC

Entry Name: Crown Public House the London Hippodrome Theatre

Listing Date: 9 January 1970

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1066287

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209098

Location: Westminster, London, WC2H

County: Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22 February 2021 to correct an error and remove superfluous source details from the text and to reformat the text to current standards

TO 2980 NE
71/60

CITY OF WESTMINSTER WC2
CHARING CROSS ROAD (west side)
The London Hippodrome Theatre and No 43 (Crown public house) (including Nos 7 to 10 consec, Cranbourn Street)

9.1.70

GV.
II
Theatre block including shops, chambers and the Crown public house at No. 43. 1895 to 1900 by Frank Matcham. Red sandstone, leaded and slated roofs. Ornate, freely handled French Renaissance with theatrically Baroque skyline. Island block of five storeys. Five bays wide to Charing Cross Road, canted corner and eight-bay return to Cranbourn Street. Pub front and shops and canopied corner entrance to theatre on ground floor. Balustraded first floor with windows flanked by volute-like caryatids. Shallow canted bay windows through two floors above. Sill, string courses and cornices with balustraded parapet broken by two shaped pediments, that to Cranbourn Street central but off centre to Charing Cross Road where the small end pavilion retains its cupola. The canted corner, its upper floor windows obscured by large hoarding, is finished off by an openwork metal cupola appropriately, given the theatre's name, supporting a biga. The parapets were also originally crowned with gladiatorial statues. The interior with arena form auditorium much altered.

Listing NGR: TQ2993480839

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.