This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5134 / 51°30'48"N
Longitude: -0.1617 / 0°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 527660
OS Northings: 180986
OS Grid: TQ276809
Mapcode National: GBR 7C.WN
Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.47W5
Entry Name: 1-12 (Not Number 8), Connaught Place W2
Listing Date: 25 September 1951
Last Amended: 1 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1066976
English Heritage Legacy ID: 209311
Location: Westminster, London, W2
District: City of Westminster
Electoral Ward/Division: Hyde Park
Built-Up Area: City of Westminster
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Evan Hyde Park Crescent
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2781 SE and 2780 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CONNAUGHT PLACE W2
25.9. 51 (Not No 8) Nos. 1 to 12
Terrace of town houses. c.1828-30, probably by G.Taylor.
Brown brick and stucco ground floors to entrance fronts, stucco
elevations to Hyde Park, slate roofs. 5 storeys and basements.
Fronts of 2 or 4 windows wide. Entrances, principally to right, have
stucco Doric porticoes projecting over pavement. Recessed sash
windows most with glazing bars, under flat gauged arches. Stucco
cornices and parapets. Bayswater Road elevations towards Hyde Park
have tripartite 1st floor windows giving on to wrought iron
balcony-verandahs with tent roofs. No. 5 rebuilt in facsimile after
war damage. Part of the early phase of the development of Tyburnia
planned in 1827 by S.P. Cockerell for the Bishop of London's Estate
(Church Commissioners), but laid out to modified plan by Cockerell's successor,
'The History of Tyburnia', G Toplis; Country Life 15, 22 Nov 1973.
Listing NGR: TQ2766080986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings