This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.762 / 51°45'43"N
Longitude: 0.1709 / 0°10'15"E
OS Eastings: 549912
OS Northings: 209264
OS Grid: TL499092
Mapcode National: GBR MG3.G0K
Mapcode Global: VHHM7.XZ64
Entry Name: Bush Hall Farm Malthouse
Listing Date: 16 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067134
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473134
Location: High Laver, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: High Laver
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: High Laver with Magdalene Laver and Little Laver
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TI 40 NE HIGH LAVER
Bush Hall Farm Malthouse
Malthouse. Circa 1847. Malthouse to west with integral drying kiln to east and maltstore extending further east. Malthouse to west of ten bays built of yellow stock brick in Flemish bond with Welsh
slate roof with red and black clay ridge tiles. Two storeys; ten bays. Segmental-arched windows divided by twelve full-height pilasters, on both floors to southern elevation and to first floor on northern elevation. Northern elevation has eight later double doors to ground floor. Victorian letterbox is built into the south eastern pilaster of the southern elevation. To north west is a weatherboarded lucam with a slate roof and an original hand-operated water pump attached to the external wall. Maltstore to the east is timberframed with slate roof and is also of two storeys.
INTERIOR:Kingpost roof trusses. Evidence and features of the malting processes remain. These include the original hoist in the lucam, a wooden chute between first and ground floor levels, a slate-slab growing floor which is unique in Essex, evidence of the couch frame and the original windows in the south elevation of the kiln. This is a rare and unusually complete example of a two-storey farm malting.
[See Report on Bush Hall Farm Malthouse by Essex County Council Planning Field Archaeology Unit February 1998.]
Listing NGR: TL4991209264
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings