This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5556 / 51°33'20"N
Longitude: -0.1802 / 0°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 526261
OS Northings: 185650
OS Grid: TQ262856
Mapcode National: GBR D0.M86
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T5M9
Entry Name: Number 12 and Attached Railings, Gate and Lamp Holder
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067348
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476939
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW CHURCH ROW
798-1/26/226 (North side)
and attached railings, gate and
Terraced house. Probably c1728, built by R Hughes; refaced
late C19 in Georgian style. Yellow stock brick with red brick
dressings; original brown brick on right hand return. Tiled
roof with dormers.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attic and semi-basement plus 2 storey 1
window projecting bay to right. Main facade with moulded brick
bands at floor levels and Doric brick pilasters rising through
1st and 2nd floors to carry brick dentil cornice and triglyphs
in frieze above pilasters. Late C18 prostyle portico with
Tower of Winds capitals to columns carrying entablature with
fluted frieze. Square-headed doorway with panelled reveals,
patterned radial fanlight and panelled door. Gauged red brick
flat arches to slightly recessed sashes with exposed boxing
and red brick aprons. Coped parapet with recessed panels.
Projecting bay with gauged brick flat arches to recessed sash
on ground floor and slightly recessed sash with exposed boxing
to 1st floor. Moulded brick cornice below parapet.
INTERIOR: has panelled entrance hall, with flat pilasters
forming archway to staircase hall behind, all with box
cornices and dadoes. Twisted baluster stair on open strings
with turned ends, fluted newels and corresponding pilasters on
dado. Two rooms per floor with later wing to side. Ground
floor fully panelled, with box cornices and dadoes, and
fireplaces with tin-glazed tiled surrounds. First floor has
raised and fielded panelling with box cornices; the front room
with bolection-moulded fireplace with early grate, the rear
room with simple early C18 fireplace and early C19 grate.
Second floor has dado panelling to landing, ovolo panelling to
rooms with box cornices, that to rear room with later
cupboards in front. C19 grates. Third floor with closed
string, turned baluster stair. Basement with turned and
twisted balusters to stair, plank doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached cast-iron railings with
patterned standards; early C20 wrought-iron gate with
overthrow and lamp-holder.
(RCHME: London: Vol. II, West London: London: -1925: 43;
Victoria County History: Middlesex: Vol. IX, Paddington &
Hampstead Parishes: Oxford: -1989: 20).
Listing NGR: TQ2626185652
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings