History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Grand Union Canal Aylesbury Arm Bridge Number 3 (Wilstone Bridge) and Lock Number 8 Adjoining on East

A Grade II Listed Building in Tring Rural, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.821 / 51°49'15"N

Longitude: -0.6887 / 0°41'19"W

OS Eastings: 490477

OS Northings: 214406

OS Grid: SP904144

Mapcode National: GBR F47.STX

Mapcode Global: VHFRP.0HSD

Entry Name: Grand Union Canal Aylesbury Arm Bridge Number 3 (Wilstone Bridge) and Lock Number 8 Adjoining on East

Listing Date: 29 May 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1067803

English Heritage Legacy ID: 355764

Location: Tring Rural, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, HP23

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Civil Parish: Tring Rural

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Tring

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Long Marston

Listing Text

TRING RURAL GRAND UNION CANAL-
SP 9014
AYLESBURY ARM
9/128 Bridge No. 3
- (Wilstone Bridge) and
Lock No. 8 adjoining
on East
GV II
Canal bridge and adjoining lock. 1811-13. Engineer Henry Provis for
Grand Junction Canal Company. Bridge of red brick in English-bond with
granite capping to piers terminating parapet. Lock of plum brick with
brick and granite copings, timber gates, and cast iron domed bollards. A
narrow hump-backed bridge carrying Tring Road over canal. Horseshoe arch
with 9 inch arch-ring. Battered side-walls topped by raised band of 4
courses at roadway level and parapet walls with courses following the
hump. Square projecting end piers terminate the outswept ends of the
parapets. Repairs in buff brick where tow-ropes have cut into brickwork
of arch next towpath. Little altered since arm opened in 1815. Narrow
lock to take a single narrowboat has its lower end close to E side of
bridge. Double gates to lower end with gate-paddles only. Single gate at
upper end hinged on N side of lock. This end has ground paddles only,
with gear set on timber posts. Stone edging extends about 8M to E of
entrance. Dated cast iron hinge anchor plates (1866, 1866 at W:1854 at
E) are probably re-used from elsewhere. (Branch Johnson(1970)118-9,122:
Faulkner(1972)92).


Listing NGR: SP9047714406

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.