This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3758 / 52°22'32"N
Longitude: -0.2389 / 0°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 519982
OS Northings: 276762
OS Grid: TL199767
Mapcode National: GBR J27.0FB
Mapcode Global: VHGLN.TK22
Entry Name: Watch Office and Operations Room at Alconbury Airfield
Listing Date: 10 October 2002
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1067832
English Heritage Legacy ID: 489817
Location: The Stukeleys, Huntingdonshire, Cambridgeshire, PE28
Civil Parish: The Stukeleys
Built-Up Area: Alconbury Airfield
Traditional County: Huntingdonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Alconbury St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
49/0/10003 Watch Office and Operations Room at
10-OCT-02 Alconbury Airfield
Watch office with Operations Room. 1941. Watch office built to Air Ministry Directorate of Works and Buildings drawing no. 7345/41, and extended with operations room to drawing no. 13079/41. Rendered brick with corrugated iron and asbestos roofs. First phase comprised a single-storey watch office to NE, then room for teleprinters etc followed by operations room and kitchen/WC at SW end. The operations room was then extended upwards with the addition of an airfield observation room and extended to the SW with a crew briefing room in the form of a Nissen hut. Steel casement windows. Flight of steel stairs provides access to first-floor door to observation room and to observation area above, surrounded by steel railings.
RAF Alconbury was operational as a satellite bomber station in September 1940. It was handed over to the American Eight Air Force in 1942, who immediately set about extending the runways to facilitate the use of four-engined bombers. Alconbury continued to have an American prescence until 1993, when the base closed. This control tower with attached operations room is the best-preserved example of a standard type built for bomber satellite stations during the Second World War. Control towers comprise the most architecturally distinctive and identifiable examples of the standard building types built on military airfields during the Second World War, 214 being built.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings